Generator adjustment or rebuild?

Started by moonlitcoyote, August 09, 2012, 03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

In preparation of heading out soon, I finally got to work on the generator and was quite shocked when I managed to get it running. Yeah me! But I still have 1 problem with it. It wont start without me messing with the choke. Once it starts it runs nice and smooth and pretty quiet but it would be nice to be able to start it without opening the compartment and getting my hands dirty. So in order to fix this start up choke problem, is there something I can adjust or would I need to rebuild the carb?. My Generator is an  Onan BGE Spec: B 4.0kw Genset. Thanks

MJ

Stripe

Well, you are in LUCK!  The downloads section here just happens to have manuals for gensets!

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?page=page558

Hope that get's you in the right direction..

CMM500

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DonD

My 4k Onan did just that and a simple adjustment cured it. 1st I set the altitude, then dialed in the mixture and she starts nicely. A nice clean air filter and she's even better.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

RV Mech Tech

Also the choke housing accumalates debris over time and may need a cleaning and make sure non of the linkage is binding or sticking -fuel injection throttle body cleaner is good for cleaning all of this and is available at any auto parts store.

moonlitcoyote

I'm not sure how you set the altitude but I do need to dial in the mixture. I will do that next week.

moonlitcoyote

First I pulled the fuel pump apart and cleaned it all out then I managed to dial in the mixture and get it running, but after a few times of using it and having a hard time starting it, it has froze up. I will have to pull the starter on it and figure out what happened.

M & J

I just adjusted mine when making the monthly load run Saturday. Before when first started it would surge for the first minute or two or until warmed up. This time I started it from the panel and watched the choke. It would pulse - causing the surge. If I manually moved the choke it smoothed out. I loosened the two screws holding the choke plate and rotated it slightly so it was just against the bimetal spring tension. It was still cold and fired it. It surged once, maybe twice but smoothed right out. Within 60 seconds transfer switch clicked and the genny was handling the load of the rooftop (NOTE: I didnt have the roof top on when the LTU switched but immediately turned in on after it transferred to the genset). I didn't have to move the choke plate more than a quarter of an inch.
M & J