Boondocking Etiquette

Started by bigjeffstone, August 04, 2012, 05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indigo Crow Weaver

Hey Mark.. love your dream for an RV Park for vintage RV's!! W%
Indigo - Love the solitude of the open road at dawn.

Stripe

Just told my GF about this just this morning. She told me of another organization called couchsurfing.org where folks volunteer up space in their own homes for travelers, Worldwide, with millions of members.  I say we try to spread the word to as many of our fellow RV'ers and get them to sign up or tell their friends as well..  This has the potential to be as big as couch surfers.  I am going to tell all my friends in NY about this.  Also on a side note, I notice there are a lot of spots up here in WA state which suggests the operator of this movement might be up here.. :)

CMM500
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

vincewarde

Quote from: denisondc on August 04, 2012, 05:33 PM
Sent: 2/7/2006 4:57 PM
I would carry a cell phone, a CB, and emergency flares. I would not carry a firearm, unless (Maybe) I was going to camp deep and extensively in the middle of bear country or a rattler infested location, and then I would inform the local police ahead of time & in writing, that I was so equipped, and give them my cell phone for a contact. Anytime you ask a ranger or other park official about permissions, you should make a note of their name, the date/time, and write it down in a journal.
In regards to firearms:

1) You need to know what you are doing.  Get training in DEFENSIVE use of firearms.  Shooting on a square range, or plinking, can be lots of fun but does not prepare you for defensive shooting.

2) You need to know the laws regarding firearms for ever state you visit.  Most of this info is posted on the net.  I'm in CA, which is pretty restrictive, but a parked RV is considered a temporary residence.  Perfectly legal to have a loaded firearm when the vehicle is parked.  When it's moving, it's a car and handguns (and in 2014 long guns) must be locked up and unloaded.  This doesn't apply in state parks, but ironically recent changes to federal law have the affect of making it legal to have a loaded gun inside your coach in a National Park inside CA.  Know the law and obey it.

3) Finally, having satisfied the above, I will never camp anywhere without a firearm in my coach PERIOD.  If I am boondocking, I am likely to be out of cell phone range which means I am on my own.  Even if I have cell coverage, I am likely to be far from help.  There is an old saying that when seconds count the police are only minutes away.  10 years in EMS have convinced me that this is true.  At home I have a fire extinguisher, a first aid kit, and properly secured defensive firearms.  Given that when I am boondocking first responders are likely to be 20-40 minutes away, the need is greater.  Then there is that matter of four legged predators - which are present in the areas I camp in.   In an urban area, the need is at least as great as at my home.

I pray that I never have to use my fire extinguisher, my first aid kit, or my firearms in a defensive manner - but I have had to use the first two in the past, and this has taught me the value of being prepared.