Boondocking Etiquette

Started by bigjeffstone, August 04, 2012, 05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjeffstone

Sent: 1/24/2006 12:20 AM

Being new to the RV world, I'm not sure if there is a "rule" about boondocking near a fellow RVer.Anyone have some advice? Should I park on the same street? If so, how far away? Should I introduce myself? Are we supposed to be buddies, or will s/he be a crazy person that will be angry with me for parking near him/her?Just curious, and any help would be great. I don't want to step on any toes...Thanks!

denisondc

Sent: 1/24/2006 3:09 PM

Boondocking can mean anything from parking at Walmart overnight, to camping in a clearing in a national forest up a narrow unpaved access road, for days on end. The only rule that would apply all the time is to be polite and friendly, and to ask permission of the landowner if possible, or know the rules for that land. I would say you shouldn?t park any closer to another 'boondocker' than necessary, unless you introduce yourself first, and discuss it. I can think of times when another RV parked nearby would be welcome, (such as for security in bear country?) and other times when they might prefer that you be totally out of sight. If in doubt, the first one to park there should be the one who decides the 'social distance'.

bigjeffstone

Sent: 2/7/2006 12:37 AM

What about living on the streets? Is there a term for that? And at that point, what is the etiquette, and how far should you park from someone else that is doing the same?And what about length of time?

Slantsixness

Sent: 2/7/2006 2:09 PM

Here's my take on this:

Ask permission. If no one is around to ask, assume that only local governing and federal laws apply (you might not be able to cut down a tree or have a fire, etc. National Forests and preserves have a long list of "no-no's")

Parking on a street in a metropolitan area? Check the local Laws, Park where it "doesn't say you can't" and away from any other "Street Campers", and stay out of residential housing areas, so you hopefully do not attract the attention of the local authorities. In a lot of jurisdictions, parking a Motorhome and living in it, on the side of a public road is a chargeable offense (Vagrancy). But usually, the authorities will let you off with a warning, if you promptly leave the location. I wouldn't try camping for very long like that, and certainly never the same unknown street twice! There are Many motorhomes that end up in holding lots as "abandoned Vehicles" because the owner didn't have the money to get it back once it was towed.

Parking out in front of a freinds house for a few days is subject to that freinds Homeowner's association, Local and State Law. Check with your freind and local police first, if you can. Usually, no one will bother you for one night.

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

DanD2Soon

Sent: 2/7/2006 3:45 PM

Hi Jeff!

Everything Dave (Denison) & Tom (Slantsixness) have said is good advice for most of us, but when I read your prior posts, I get the distinct impression that you are going to be the one to give the rest of us the advice...

I'm taking your questions absolutely serious & I'm not making fun of you. I hope you'll keep informing us of your progress and I'll keep you in my prayers because I would call what you're describing "Urban Boondocking" and it scares the hell out of me!

Tom hinted at it with his post, (I think we have law enforcement people in the group who could maybe give us their opinion too) - Unless you have a wad of cash in your pocket and maybe a credit card or two, I'm afraid most police departments would consider you homeless or vagrant if you're "street camping."

When I've HAD to park overnight in a community strange to me, I've chosen places like truck/fuel stop parking areas, shopping area parking lots (WalMart, Lowes, Menards, Target, etc.) and even a couple of High/Jr. High School parking lots - never more than 1 night in one place and never anyplace like L.A.! I'm a pretty trusting sort of person, but I can't help thinking too that if you're "Urban Boondocking" for more than a day in any Large city, you're advertising yourself to the street population as a "volunteer victim."

Enough for now - hoping others will contribute their thoughts and that you'll keep us posted - God Bless,
DanD

denisondc

Sent: 2/7/2006 4:57 PM

I think the name for 'street boondocking' to many policemen would be 'suspicious/illegal activity'. There is a fairly good set of guidelines in the vagabonders-supreme.net site, as he has been doing it for several years full-time. On his site, click on the link for 'Behind the Scenes', and read chapter 3 and 4 at least. Another site to examine: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/citycamping/, and, groups.yahoo.com/group/car_living/. If you read a few weeks worth of the messages, you get the impression that some of the posters have some emotional or developmental shortcomings. While being bipolar or schizophrenic isnt illegal, realize that the police or the community might view you the same way they would view the virulent posters.
On the left side of the home page on this site, click on the link for Resources. On that next page, click on the link for; Smart RVing. One of the text documents there that you (and the rest of us too) might benefit from reading is called: "Boondocking". Like the author says, good info. Also, "Getting along, in Mexico and Elsewhere".
I would carry a cell phone, a CB, and emergency flares. I would not carry a firearm, unless (Maybe) I was going to camp deep and extensively in the middle of bear country or a rattler infested location, and then I would inform the local police ahead of time & in writing, that I was so equipped, and give them my cell phone for a contact. Anytime you ask a ranger or other park official about permissions, you should make a note of their name, the date/time, and write it down in a journal.
There is good info on the www.rv.net site, but it might be buried behind thousands of more recent messages.
Be sure to have copies of your birth certificate and other important papers - title, insurance evidence. I even have photocopies of the title, clearly marked as 'photocopy'. A passport adds a little validity to being a politically correct footloose traveller, as does having a bank account that can be checked on, and a nice traceable trail of ATM use. Having credit cards is pretty important, even if never used. If you carry any prescription drugs, carry a copy of the prescription with you, or a note from your doctor. Having pictures of family members displayed - with you in the picture- would be better than having a Kiss poster or Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders poster.
We are eager to hear how it goes for you..... as someday my father-in-law might kick us out of his driveway!

DanD2Soon

Sent: 3/29/2006 7:35 PM

Jeff,

Good to hear from you again!  Glad things are going well - your spirit of adventure is probably one of the best things you have working for you!  Just remember what Teddy Roosevelt said about "Adventure most often being the result of a miscalculation."

Hang in there,
DanD

bigjeffstone

Sent: 4/7/2006 12:09 PM

Well, if miscalculation is why we have adventure, I hope that my life is full of it. Most people, when they find out why I am doing this, do not understand why I love it. It is the adventure-it is the fact that each day I find out something new about my home, something that will either make life easier or will make me have to work a little bit more than a homeowner.
We are in the process of getting our generator fixed as I write this. It will cost a bunch, but we'll have power. I am still in contact with the previous owner, and he said it'll run fine after a carb rebuild.
For security, as we venture closer to the heart of Hollywood, we are looking at security systems to keep us safe. Any suggestions?
We feel safe when we're in it, but both work days and well, some places while we'll try to avoid them, we never can tell what will happen.
Please, any questions, suggestions, encouragements, are welcomed and appreciated and well, asked for.
Thanks!
Jeff

another1bytesTHEduss

Sent: 4/8/2006 2:56 PM

While "boondocking" near Hollwood,I would suggest making that generator as quiet as possible.Insulate the gen.compartment heavily.Run it in the day if possible,get some marine batteries.As not to attract attention to your winney.I would get some chain and a lock for it ,too, as some members have lost gensets to thieves.Get an alarm at radio shack.
A good group for city camping in cars,trucks ,vans,even small r.v.s is/yahoo.groups./vandwellers/group. they call this lifestyle "stealth camping" and by not staying in one place too long,save hundreds of dollars avoiding parking charges,rent money,storage etc.  Good luck- ErikC

Cooneytoones

Sent: 4/9/2006 6:54 PM

Here's the best Boondocking Etiquette I've seen, and a pledge all us RVer's should take & abide by......

http://www.escapees.com/

Timmy

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/11/2006 10:21 AM

"security systems"

A mean looking dog and a Big Baseball bat. -works every time.

Keep an unloaded registered and documented gun handy, but in CA I think that might not be possible and may get you arrested if the autorities see or find it.

But, Good luck... you've got the gumption to do this I only wish I had....

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

bigjeffstone

Sent: 1/29/2007 4:18 PM

It's been a long time since I last responded to any of your commentary, which I am glad to say has always been helpful.
I can say that we have been safe for a year in Los Angeles, on the streets. Life is good, very good. Every once in a while the police visit, every once in a while we have a random knocker on our door, every once in a while we have a fire. Well, that only happened once, but worth mentioning.
We had a friend move in "next door" and have met numerous neighbors and found out great ways of doing things. Like replacing roof vent lids during rainy season with current models and simply screwing through the current metal hinge. And we also used Kool Seal aluminum roof coat to get us through those tough weeks-which are about to come upon us. Let's hope we stay dry!
The biggest reason I am writing today is to let you all know about our website-- http://www.thehobosoul.com. You can learn about our adventures and good times on there. We try to get a new video out every few weeks-there are 4 up at this point and have a few more planned soon.
You guys have been a great help, so to have you check this out would mean a lot to a fellow Classic Winnebago owner-and lifer.
Thanks
Jeff

DanD2Soon

Sent: 1/30/2007 8:49 PM

Kewl as hell, guys!  You've taken Boondocking to a whole new level.  I am not worthy. - DanD

SPEC_OPS121

Sent: 1/31/2007 10:32 AM

Don't forget, there are literally thousands of places you can legally park.

Wallmarts, truck stops, rest stops, some cities even have free hook ups for travelers like Dumas Texas. So even though you can park it on the street, i'd only do it when it was my last choice.

I'm a licensed hand gun owner, about 250 pounds and still work out at 55; but, i'm not looking for trouble or an excuse to be on the news because i shot someone that attacked me. So I choose my spots carefully. This society we live in is going to the dogs in a hurry and if it ever catches up with one of us, we might lose a member.

Be safe
stephen

denisondc

Sent: 1/31/2007 12:33 PM

The one time I had my Winnie in the L.A. area, we had arrived in Orange county, on our way to my sisters house in Long Beach. We had pulled into the parking lot of a Ralphs Supermarket, and the wife and kids went in to buy food/supplies. I was relaxing in the shade of the doorway, and a panhandler gent walked up; white-haired unshaven, polite. He asked if I had any spare change, and complemented me on my house. We were parked in the middle of the lot, and he pointed out that I would find nice shade on the southern edge of the parking lot, and that nobody else was living in the lot right then. I thanked him for his advice, told him we were just passing through on my way to my sisters, not camping in the parking lot. We conversed a little more, him giving me advice about when the Ralphs security usually came by, when the Buena Park police would come by, ignoring or not believing that I was really not going to camp in the parking lot.

Slantsixness

Sent: 2/5/2007 9:28 PM

Hey Jeff,
Where are episodes 4 and 5? (missing on you tube....)

Tom

bigjeffstone

Sent: 2/13/2007 12:15 PM

I'm glad you've all taken to checking out the site--we appreciate it.
As for episodes 4-5, they are still in the works...episode 6 was originally episode 3 until we found more tapes. Even more recently, episode 6 became episode 7 as I found even more footage.

Oh man, good stuff is to come. Thanks for checking out the site guys-
Jeff

tiinytina

Sent: 2/13/2007 4:43 PM

way cool! love the videos!.

As with anything... we've found just be good gracious neighbors. find out the law and abide by it.... placate where you can. Some folks are wonderful... some are just "retentive" shall we say.... We have one neighbor on the retentive side....

Actually, reflecting on it, I find RV'rs (and campers in general) just like many of the friends I made while doing mid-atlantic "Dead" shows with back in the early 80's... very cool unless you are the idiot factor.  My thing has always been treat everyone as if they were you and how you would expect to be treated.

tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

bigjeffstone

Sent: 9/17/2007 12:37 PM

I appreciate all the feedback--it's been a while since I've been on here. Wanted to update everyone--we're still out here, living the good life.
Had our windshield smashed in once, had my car broken into twice, but that's the price you pay for freedom. LA.
We're working on a trailer for the documentary that we're doing and we're also getting ready for Vern, my roommate, to move out.
He's getting married and moving onto a real life. With an apartment. It's sad, I know.
Check the site, we've got a bunch of new videos up and some other short creative pieces that we've done in the last few months.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 9/20/2007 11:19 AM

Very cool, guys!  My wife and I live in our RV for much of the same reasons you do...the freedom, the adventure, the stories we are building and living....although we do it a bit differently.  We travel and work at Renaissance Faires, owning our own small little business called Siege The Day, building catapults, trebuchets, ballistae, and whatnot...its great fun, living is cheap, and at the end of the day, we are happier than we ever were in our lives, and it just keeps getting better and better!  Keep on keeping on!  I don't think we could be happy doing it in a city...I like the country and the woods too much to do it in a city for very long...but if you love what you are doing, then keep it up as long as you can.

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Did some Googleing of my own, looking to see if there were were / are sanctuaries. (I know for a lot of active, reserve and military they can usually use base Morale Welfare and Recreation facilities if available at nearby bases). I am a bit disappointed.  Especially given the state of the economy.  More and more folks are out of their homes and living in their vehicles, some in vans, others in cars and a few lucky ones who were able to get there hands on a inexpensive and livable RV. A lot of times these people are just trying to get by on what they have.

I am so mad, I want to start my own RV sanctuary movement!

I found this link to a good info site: http://cheaprvliving.com/Boondocking.html

I have to stop here as I will just get more steamed as I go and never stop..

CMM500
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

Yes, please... don't go there because, I'll be coming right along with you.  This area is loaded with just those people you are talking aobut.  So, what was my dream?  To do just that.  Move to Florida, buy a mobile home or RV park (and there are some to be had) and make it a community solely for vintage RV owners.  Only one big fly in the ointment... I forgot the number one rule... you have to have money to begin with.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

This intrigues me...

http://www.urbanrvpark.com/

I may have and may know a couple of folks that have extra space that might want to look into this to supplement their income...

CMM500
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DonD

Quote from: Coachmanm500 on August 05, 2012, 03:46 AM
This intrigues me...

http://www.urbanrvpark.com/

I may have and may know a couple of folks that have extra space that might want to look into this to supplement their income...

CMM500
I have visions of Hannibal Lecter welcoming me to his property. "Will you be staying for supper?"
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Oz

I have a vision too but, not like DonD's! - - - >   ???

I don't know if this website is brand new as it only has a couple members and almost no info in it.  However, with the way things are for so many people, I think the potential could be huge as an "alternative housing option" (as I call it).  I'm sure there are other, more established platforms out there.  It's just a matter of finding them.

My dream is still to buy an RV park and make it solely for vintage RVs.  The community members would all pitch in to help maintain and improve the grounds, there would be a building for repairs, complete with tools, and members could get together to help one another to do the repairs... I guess you could sum it up by calling it the first "Amish RV Park"

N:(  Okay, now I've gone  Off:Topic   ...Guilty.  W%  So, Sniper(00) me!  :)rotflmao
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca