69 Dodge M300 D24 318-3 engine swap

Started by mbmcmahan, February 23, 2016, 12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbmcmahan

Looking for advice on swapping out the engine and tranny (best way).  I have made the space and access necessary for replacing the radiator already.  Not sure if this is sufficient to swap out the engine.

LJ-TJ

Well if you do a search there's been several fellows do write ups on the best way to pull the engine. I just don't know how to find it on here. It's pretty simple. It comes out the front. Take the bumper off. The rad out. There should be a brace piece at the front,take that out. pull the motormounts and she should slide right out.

Oz

That's correct.  TJ has a whole bunch of pictures to go with it. 

Remember, use the message search first.  It can save a lot of waiting and give you a lot super info instantly!

:) :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Surfinhurf

Just start unbolting stuff :D

A long arm cherry picker is helpful
I had to jack/block up the body at the spring mount to get clearance to the front axle
Put the front end up on blocks to get clearance for the cherry picker
Spend the extra $$$ and go with the biggest radiator you can get
Added trans cooler

1977 Winnie Brave Olds 455 TH400 HD swap

Rickf1985

I have never done a motor home but I have done a fair number of vans and I can tel you that if you remove the intake manifold and find a lifting cradle that bolts to the manifold bolts and sets down in between the heads (or make one, not that hard) you will get a lot more room above the engine to maneuver the hoist.  In this setup the lifting hook is actually between the heads and the lifting arm is about flush with the valve covers.

mbmcmahan

re cradle with intake manifold off... got that thanks!