How do I fit a LP/propane Gas accessory port?

Started by Jupp318, October 06, 2013, 08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jupp318

I would like to add a low pressure outlet port to my rig to enable me to run gas accessories outside my rig.  Now that I have a rig that has it's own LP gas system to run Fridge, H/W, furnace & oven I would like to be able to tap into this gas supply to run outside accessories.  I really do not want to have to carry portable cylinders anymore!.  Can anyone help with this?

cosmic

you need to tap into the main line under the rig. its like 1 1/4 black pipe. you will need to go to a pluming store to get the proper fitting that screws into the black pipe but also has a bevel on the inside for your flare fitting. you will need to go to the rv shop and have a 5 or 6 piece of bendable copper line with flares at both ends. (made for propane)
be prepared to go to several pluming stores, as I did when trying to hook up a furnace that was capped off.
Then when you tell them what your up to, they will give ya the parts for free or tell ya they don't have them because of a liability issue.
be sure to test all the fittings you do with soap and water.

HandyDan

Just go to an rv store and pick up one of these.  Very easy to install.  Goes right on the propane tank.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

cosmic

DaveVA78Chieftain

Hook method depends on the portable device.
Most portable devices that use a 1lb portable tank have a built in regulator so you want to use the high pressure side (at tank prior to RV regulator).  Even a regular home grill comes with a hose that has a regulator on the tank end that attaches directly to the 20lb tank (high pressure).

The adaptor that HandyDan posted connects on the high pressure side.  You would then use one of the Coleman 8ft hose extensions to connect to it
http://www.coleman.com/product/8-ft-244-m-high-pressure-propane-extension-hose/2000005042#.UlGnwVOym58

The adaptor HandyDan posted has a cap for sealing it when hose is removed.  If you want to use that hose with a seperate 20lb tank then you can use Coleman adaptor
http://www.coleman.com/product/bulk-propane-adaptor-for-appliances-replaces-5410b790t/2000005188?contextCategory=5600#.UlGne1Oym58

Dave
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

This is an example of tapping into the 3/8,s line much easier than into main line Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

We have one of those that Dan pictured on our rig, with the addition of another port for using a portable grill tank and hose if you run low on propane, what they call an Extend-A-Stay setup.  Tight fit, and we had to remove the white painted propane leak detector from the setup in order to have enough room.

The extend-a-stay part works great, but the hose that goes to the grill has a tendency to ice up on cold days since its so long.  We tend to use a big tank adapter hose for our grill when we are at a renfaire for 10 weeks instead, and have no icing problems in any weather with the much shorter hose.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.