Engine won't start. Weak battery?

Started by Indigo Crow Weaver, August 18, 2012, 05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indigo Crow Weaver

G'd morning all. I'm having trouble with the RV this morning.
Up until this week, I've had no problem turning the engine over when I start it.
I started to wash the old girl a week ago. Had the hose running over the front of the van, scrubbing, etc. The hood latch doesn't completely close, but it is latched so it wouldn't fly open when driving, but not a good secure clamp down.    It may be completely unrelated, but yesterday I went to start her up and she turned over weak. Sounded like a low battery issue... the more I tried to turn her over, the weaker she got. Asked hubby to get out the charger since he couldn't put his hands on jumper cables and when he hooked her up, she started, but still not a good strong start, so he left the charger on her and I went to town for a couple of hours to run some errands. When I came home he said something about her being "fully charged" and then he left for an appointment. I jumped in to turn her over, because I want to move the beast to a different location. When I turned her over... nothing except a faint "click" and a slight movement on the dashboard indicators.  I then asked my neighbor to bring his pickup over to jumpstart the RV... but this time nothing. It would not jumpstart.

What do you think? Do I just need a battery or is something else? Could having the engine get wet have anything to do with this?   I think I just need to get a new battery... but I'm remembering once upon a time being with an old boyfriend who had a Honda with solenoid issues and we usta get out and bang the solenoid when it wouldn't start...   I'd love to hear some ideas here. Thanks much. Hm?
Indigo - Love the solitude of the open road at dawn.

ClydesdaleKevin

All of your questions are answered in other threads, so make sure you do a message search. 

Anyhow, the first thing to do is check your battery voltage with a volt meter.  Should read at least 12 volts or higher...otherwise its either dead, dying, or not getting charged by the alternator.  If it reads good, go to the next step.

Next thing to do is check the battery connections.  Take them off and clean them, and the battery posts, and put them back on.  See if she starts.

Next, trace the wiring down to the alternator and starter and tighten all those connections.  See if she starts.

If not, now find the big flat braided cable that goes from the engine to the frame...that is your ground strap.  Clean and tighten the connections.

If she still won't start, try to jump the starter solenoid.  Turn the ignition key to on, then climb under the rig, find the starter, and using a plastic handled screwdriver, push the metal part of the screwdriver against the starter terminals...if it turns on and tries to turn the engine over, then the starter is good...if not, its more than likely bad, or at least the solenoid is, so you'll have to replace it.

If the starter won't even click by jumping the solenoid, then your problem is either a fusible link (do a message search), or your ignition switch (where the key goes) might be bad.

Hope that helps.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Indigo Crow Weaver

Thanks much Kevin... I'm digging into the owners manual that I downloaded from this site..... and cross referencing with autozone's  tutorials on-line. I did do some cross searches on other forum threads, and since I'm on a fast upcurve for learning... I'm afraid I don't always know what I don't know. :-[

Oz

You wouldn't think a battery could just up and go bad all of a sudden but, they do.   I had the same issue with my '74.  It turned out the battery was bad and I replaced it but, while I had all the batteries out, I did just what Kevin suggested, which is pretty much the basic battery troubleshooting routine.

In addition, while I was cleaning connections, I took a good look at the main battery ground cable.  After years of use, you get this blue corrosion on the wires.  I replaced all the battery wires and, I found the main negative ground to the chassis to be pretty rusty.  Since it was nothing more than a length of all-thread welded to the battery box housing, I drilled a new hole through the box and the metal frame and used a stainless steel bolt and wide stainless steel washers and nut for a good, non-corroding contact.

On the right side of the Member Area, Manuals & Diagrams section, you'll see like 4 good, battery related tech guides including a battery troubleshooting guide.  These are really good references!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Indigo Crow Weaver

Thanks Mark... I'll check them out.