Recommended fuel for the 413?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 3/25/2005 7:24 PM

I know from my years as a Volkswagon Bug and Bus afficiando that the little air cooled engines, with their high compression, were back in the 60s and early 70s designed to run on leaded high octane gas.  You can, however, run them reliably and without hurting them as long as you use an unleaded gas with an octane of at least 91.  As long as you run a high octane, you don't even need to add a "lead replacement" additive to the gas.

What's the story with an old (72) 413?  No doubt it was designed to run on leaded gas, and from another post in this forum, I see that it has a respectable and high compression ratio.  What's the general concensus here about what octane to run and what types of additives, if any, should be added to the gasoline as a lead replacement?

Thanks!

Kev and Patti Smith

Sent: 3/26/2005 4:47 PM

The 413-1 that came in the motorhomes has a compression ratio of 8.0 to 1. They run nicely on unleaded regular - 87 octane; even after it has been sitting in the tank for a year.
The 11 to 1 ratio was in one of the 62 Chrysler passenger car optional engines.
One of the nice things about the 413-1 is that it is less likely to ping than any of the 440-3s, all of which have compression ratios higher than 8 to 1.
The 413-1 came with stellite faced valves, and the heads had induction hardened valve seats. When filling the fuel tanks I put in a lead substitute; when I think of it and have some along. I dont worry about it though. I am convinced the lack of lead or lead additive will Not be what causes my engine to wear out.

Sent: 3/27/2005 10:24 AM

Thanks Dave!  I was hoping I could put the "cheaper" gas in the Ark.  Happy Easter!

Kev and Patti Smith