G'd morning everyone!!

Started by Indigo Crow Weaver, July 14, 2012, 10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indigo Crow Weaver

Its a gorgeous morning here in Searsport Maine. The Chicory are in full bloom and it promises to be a hot, hot day. I'm brand spankin new on this forum and the proud and super excited new owner of a 1977 Dodge Champion motor home. Just wanted to say howdi and I look forward to getting to know folks.

Here's the first pictures of her. She runs right along. I've got an appointment w/ my mechanic on the 25th to get 'er checked out. Anyone ever paint the outside of one of these models?

https://picasaweb.google.com/103630290120188647863/20120707?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOiezNDli67JRg&feat=directlink
Indigo - Love the solitude of the open road at dawn.

OldEdBrady

I've painted a pop-up and a travel trailer.  But I'm not one to really ask, since I usually use a 4" roller and an artist's brush.  It takes forever for me to do it, but it looks fairly good when I'm done.

Welcome to the best site anywhere for RVs--new or old.

Indigo Crow Weaver

Thanks for welcoming me to this forum!

I've been trying to figure out why I have not been able to find any photos on-line of my model RV! Then I used one of the resources on this site - a VIN decoder! Very cool information. I learned that my motor home is not a 1977 but rather, its a 1976 and its referred to as a MB400??!! How did the name, "champion" get into the mix? Anyhow... would love to hear from anyone who might be able to shed more light my way.

smiles,
Indigo

tiinytina

Welcome!!! and enjoy... and hot hot for ME is relative... LOL...
Tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

JDxeper

You could very well have a 1977 Champion, the manufactuers bought the chassis ahead of contruction of the coach.  If the motor home was manufactured in the early part of the year and the chassis could very well come from the later part of the prior year.  The Vin decoder supplies information about the chassis to make it easier to find parts. There  usually is a chassis vin number and then a vin for the coach also. Now you can be more confused this description.
JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome to the best classic and vintage RV site on the planet! 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

I believe the "MB400" or just the "MB" part is much like old chassis model designators of D = Dodge, F = Ford, P = Chevy.  It really doesn't relate to what "Name Model" the manufacturer gave it (Indian, Traveler, etc.).  It's more to do with the service end, the MB being a Class C type rather than a Class A type - it's coach body/cab-over a van front end RV (Class C - also called "minnies") rather than an RV with the cab area completely integrated into the RV coach body (Class A).

But, I'm not 100% sure of that (only 94.375%).  After all, I have no Class at all!   Hm?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

B100 (1/2 Ton), B200 (3/4 Ton),  B300 (1 Ton)  = Standard van, Passenger Van, or Sports Van chassis

CB200 (3/4 Ton),  CB300 (1 Ton) = Heavy Duty Commercial Van chassis

MB300 (3/4 Ton) , MB400 (1 Ton)  =  Motorhome Cutaway Van chassis

;)

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

So the MB = "Motorhome Cutaway Van"  is the correct way to interpret what I was trying to describe with my lame method.  D:oH!

TommyM

May I take another shot at explaining things that might help?

When you buy a motorhome, you're really buying two separate things all wrapped up in one package.

The first thing you have is a vehicle chassis, usually consisting of the vehicle frame, engine, transmission, and "running gear" (suspension, axles, tires, wheels. . .).  As explained in detail above, it sounds like you have determined your chassis to be a 1976 Dodge MB400, which is a motorhome cutaway chassis.

The second thing is the "home" portion of the motorhome, which is the floor, walls, roof, furnishings, appliances, etc.  It sounds like you've determined that your "home" is a 1977 Champion.

The chassis will have a VIN assigned by Dodge (which you found), and the "home" may also have a separate VIN, assigned by the coach manufacturer.

I think this was already explained, but it is entirely possible that Dodge made a 1976 model year chassis, which Champion then purchased, and on which Champion built a 1977 model coach.

Is all that helpful?

Tommy
'75 Midas Class C (parted out, scrapped)
'85 27' Chieftain (crashed!)
'86 33' Chieftain (sold)
'94 37.5' Elante 37RQ
Durango, Colorado

Indigo Crow Weaver

Super helpful! Thanks Tommy.

Oz

You can change the year of your RV by going to your profile, hover over "Modify Profile" and click on "Forum Profile" on the drop down that will appear.