What Engine do I Have in My '73 Indian?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 3/27/2005 9:06 PM

how can i find out for sure if my winnie has a 440 or 413? where are the numbers on the motor to look it up at? i might change the heads off the 73 and put them on my 75 if there both 440-3 motors because the 73 purrs like a kitten and the 75 tapps. should i?

Sent: 3/31/2005 7:05 AM
     As far as I know; the 413-1 manifolds ran below the spark plugs, and the 440-3 manifolds ran above the spark plugs.  And the manifold mounting studs are located differently too.

The 413s had a larger water pump housing, and the water pump had a grease fitting, that came out close to the distributor.  The 440s water pumps did not have this.   

On the 413-1 the spark plugs had a flat seat with a washer.   On many (but probably not all) of the 440-3s the spark plugs had the smaller diameter base with the tapered seat.  So if the engine has plugs with the tapered seats - it is Not a 413.   

If there is an audible tap, it is probably either a bent pushrod or a sticking lifter.   You can check the pushrods for being bent by removing the valve covers, and spinning the top of the pushrods with your fingers.  You will have to rotate the crankshaft somewhat during this process, since you wont be able to spin a pushrod if it is holding a valve open.      While you are at it, look for a broken valve spring, outer or inner, or a cracked rocker arm or loose rocker shaft bolts. 
    If you dont find any bent pushrods (but I think you will), you could start the engine with the valve cover off, and push sideways on the top of each pushrod as the engine is idling.  When you get to the pushrod above the bad lifter, the sound of the tapping will alter. Also pushing down on the rocker where the pushrod butts into it would change the tapping noise.   You might also get slightly spattered by motor oil doing this - dont rev it up.    Replacing a lifter means taking off the carb, the manifold, and the valley gasket, not the engine head.   Once you had the valley gasket off, you could see if you had adverse wear on any of the camshaft lobes; which wouldnt casue a tapping noise as much as it would cause running on 7 cylinders. 
   The pushrods can be bent very slightly, and you wouldnt see it until you take them out and roll them on a flat table - but if they are only bent this much, it wouldnt cause a tapping noise.   They might get bent worse if you run the engine at high rpm however - like over 3600 rpm.
    You can take the pushrods out by just removing the rocker arm shaft.  Its not too hard to do.   I will assume you have a torque wrench for reinstalling it.  Be sure to put the pushrods back in the same place they came from of course.