Is there a 440-4?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 3/26/2005 2:07 PM

I've read some of the posts and there is a lot a talk about 440-3 engines. On the passenger side of my engine block there is 440-4. What is the difference? I haven't seen any posts about this number.

Sent: 3/26/2005 4:10 PM

I am guessing, that its a foundry number for the pattern from which the rough block would have been cast. As far as I have read, all of the different flavors of 440s that had two-bolt main bearing caps shared the same rough casting. The differences between a 440-1, and the 440-3 came with drilling; added coolant passages between block and head, and other changes not dependent on the maching process. I know there were 440-2s, used in stationary power plants and boat engines, but I imagine they used the same basic block too.
Like I said, I a guess.

Sent: 4/2/2005 12:29 PM

My block also is a 440-4. When I took the heads in to the machine shop the machinist told me the heads were specific to the motorhome because of the extra coolant jackets.

Sent: 4/3/2005 11:58 AM

I agree , the numbers on the right side of the block are casting numbers . the engine identification numbers on the 440 are stamped on the Top -left front ( drivers side ) of the engine block . Near the front inside corner of the valve cover . there should be a flat spot there with the stamped numbers . There is also some threads on decoding these numbers if you search CWM   Sea Hag