Any Problems with the 413 should know?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

From revoltcom (Original Message)
Sent: 4/23/2005 11:30 PM

I am really close to buying a 72 Indian with about 60k on a 413 Dodge engine. Any of you more experienced CWM people know of inherent problems with the motor? I'm pretty good mechanically, and familiar with most mopar car engines, but know nothing about the 413 engine. Just wondering if there are any mandatory upgrades to make them last longer, get better mileage and pull hills easier. I figured on headers, a new carb and intake manifold and maybe electronic ignition. This board's last tips about fridges and parking were great and very helpfull. Thanks, and I hope to be a member with his own six-wheeled problem soon.

Sent: 4/24/2005 1:07 PM

The 413 is a good engine. Electronic ignition makes maintenance easier. New carb and intake if the old carb is shot and you like aluminum colored intakes. In short I have done most of these things but haven’t felt much in the way of more power. The engine had plenty of grunt before all my upgrades. I just upgrade when something breaks. Keep it tuned well and it will run good.

Sent: 4/24/2005 8:37 PM

I have the 413-1 in my 72, and am very happy with it. I dont think you can improve it much. At 96k miles mine isnt worn out yet. At 33 years of age it isnt showing any design weaknesses yet either. To make it last longer; get the radiator cleaned out, replace the fan clutch, radiator hoses, and the belts. If a 413 overheats, its not the fault of the engine design, but lack of normal maintenance of the cooling system.
The new carb would be a good idea, or rebuilding your old one. It would need it in another 8 to 10 years too.
Be sure to grease the lube fitting on the water pump near the distributor, and oil the centrifugal advance mechanism in the top end of the distributor shaft, under the rotor.
In fact, lube all of the grease fittings on the entire thing. There should be about 22 of them, including the one on the brake pivot and the water pump.

Sent: 4/25/2005 10:40 PM

I have to agree that the 413 is a hell of an engine. The only weak spot I know of is the exhaust manifolds like to leak due to warpage but, headers should take care of that. If you find any, put up a post 'cause I imagine a few of us would like to find a source. Have a great time with your winnie

Sent: 4/28/2005 7:35 PM

revoltcom,

I have a 71 with 413, that my brother bought from the original owner. The only problems the 413 ever had in 90,000 miles were:

Water pump (one time)
Exhaust manifold, right side cracked
Holley carburetor gaskets (twice)
Starter (one time)

It's a very durable and powerful engine.

John