413 Exhaust Manifold to Pipe Fasket P/N & Source needed

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 4/12/2005 5:21 PM

I am having trouble finding the correct gaskets for my 413.  I am needing a exhuast to tail pipe gasket but can't find it, and I can't find a gasket for the oil filter thing.  I believe that the motor came with  a cartridge type oil filter and that an after market spin on type has been added.  Never the less I can't seem to find this gasket either.  I'll probably have to make my own for this.  Any Ideas on which donut gasket fits the 71' 413 exhaust or what vehicle would have used the same one??

Any help you have would be appreciated.
Sean

Sent: 4/12/2005 6:56 PM

As far as I know the 413-1 engines came with the same spin-on oil filter that all of the 440 engines also used. The oil pump is external to the block, and the filter screws onto that assembly. It points straight forward, and sort of rubs against the lower radiator hose. I always ask for a filter for the 440 in a 72 Dodge pickup truck. Thats how I get my points also.
The exhaust manifolds on mine are the original kind. They are symetrical - the same part # left and right. The center-dump outlet has 4 studs to hold the exhaust pipe up to it. The gasket there is square, has the 4 holes for the studs, and the large center hole. I got my gaskets from a place (adjoining a machine shop) that deals in only engine parts, for light and heavy trucks, even cars. The counterman there knew there were truck versions of the 413 and the 440s, and had the 413 exhaust gaskets on his shelf. You might want ot call a machine shop and ask where they get their parts for truck engines.
If you cant find any gaskets, you could probably cut out a pair yourself, from the sheet gasket material that is available.
When I took mine apart I had to use my acetylene torch, so I could unscrew the nuts without snapping off studs. Then I cleaned up the threads with a tap - cant recall the size though. I used antisieze compound on the threads when I put the nuts back on. I put a second nut on each stud, also with antisieze compound. This is to keep the threads on the stud from rusting away.
What I would like to find are new exhaust pipes for the 413-1! from each exh. manifold back to the muffler.

Sent: 4/13/2005 4:06 AM

I'll try to check around for a engine specialty shop here.  The only exhaust to manifold gasket I could find was definately not right.  I think I will make the gasket fot the oil filter.  I wouldn't know what to call it and that is probably why i can't find it.  Besides I've been wanting a reason to buy the hollow punch set at harbor frieght and they'd be great for gasket making.

About your manifold to muffler pipe, just about any muffler shop could make one and it should be cheap. I'd estimate 50$ for both sides.

Sent: 4/14/2005 9:26 PM

Hope this helps-I got an exhaust man. gasket set from NAPA that is correct to and has the heat shields for the plug wires and includes the square flange gasket. The Victor gasket # is MS15092. That should cross to whatever your local part store has access to