Staying Fit On The Road

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, June 15, 2012, 09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Fulltiming it on the road, especially running your own business, makes it very difficult to stay fit and healthy, and you have to be very self motivated to get the job done.

That said, there are a lot of options if you really want to keep yourself in shape and healthy.

You could find local gyms or pools wherever you go, if you have the time and extra money.  I simply don't have time to travel AND work out.

The cheapest alternative is a pair of sneakers...and go running or jogging every day.  But if you've had major back surgery in the past, like I did in the Navy, then running is out.

Bicycling is a fine choice, but you have to pedal the bike...and pedal hard...to get a good workout.  Just sitting on the seat and coasting around isn't exercise, and you'd burn more calories walking than riding.  Bikes were made to make travel more efficient and burn less calories than walking and running, so you have to give it a hard go to make it work, a very hard go....but its a good choice for a lot of folks.  The drawback is if you are camping in a congested area, and with all the dummies texting and driving out there, I don't like road cycling anymore.  Mountain biking is a lot of fun, but there again, if you aren't in a rural area, finding trails can be difficult, and another long drive.

So that leaves exercise machines, like tread mills, stationary bikes, Bowflexes and other total gym type machines, and my favorite, the Nordic Track ski machine.

All are good choices, although to get a good cardio workout on home gyms, it takes a lot of effort to bring up the pulse rate, which they really aren't designed for...and they take up a lot of room.

That is why I love my Nordic Track.  It folds down flat, and gives you an awesome full body workout in 30 minutes a day, with no special equiptment to use it besides a pair of sneakers.  It gives you outstanding cardio workouts, and tones the whole body, including the abs, in just one workout.  It is very easy on the joints as well.  Adjustable tension allows it to be used right from the start by folks at all levels of fitness and age.  And while new they can cost over 900 bucks, I see them all the time at thrift stores, barely used, for a lot less than that.  I bought mine for 30 bucks, and it showed no sign of ever being used.

If you go for a Nordic Track, you are actually better off trying to find a used older one, 96 or older (there is a label underneith that tells you when it was made)...the older ones were made in Minnesota and are super high quality...the new ones are made in China crap.

Whatever you decide to use to stay fit and healthy, its a good idea to do so.  If you aren't a fulltimer, then enjoy your campouts and don't worry about it...you can stay fit at home, and your camping trip is your vacation. 

If you are a fulltimer, you can definitely stay fit on the road...you just have to make up your mind, and as the Nike commercials say, Just Do It!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Since Patti bought me a Nordic Track Medalist for my birthday, my Nordic Track Sequoia is now for sale on the member items for sale board, if anyone is interested.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

This is really good, Kev.  It's a challenge enough to "stay fit" at home, it must be even more so when your "home" is always moving and you're running a non-internet business as well.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Mark!  I had to make a choice...either get back in shape and then stay fit, even with our nomadic lifestyle, or stay fat and die at a young age.

The Nordic Track was the perfect choice for me.  So far, I've lost over 33 lbs between the NT and the Atkins diet.  I feel better, my energy levels are way up, and Patti said I even quit snoring...lol! 

At 265 lbs, I was getting close to being type 2 diabetic, and my blood sugar was all over the place...now its stable, no more fluctuations, and I feel good all day long, even if I get too busy to eat. 

My acid reflux went away, as did gas problems, which Patti is also thankful for... :)rotflmao

I'm now 232 lbs, and want to get down to at least 200...maybe less.  And stay there.  Which means I'll have to keep working out every day...but its just for 30 minutes, and anyone can find time for that.  It also means that for the rest of my life I will always have to stay on a low carb diet, although once I get down to the weight I want to be at, I can get off the Atkins and just eat sensibly with small reasonable sized portions and low carbs.  At 6'2", 200 is a healthy weight...but remaining body fat will determine if I want to go even lower.

I did have to buy a new kilt yesterday though...my old one was falling off!  I went from a 42 kilt to a 33 kilt...although the 33 is one the loosest strap hole...but that is what I want, so I can keep tightening it as I lose more weight and inches.

This proves that ANYONE can lose weight and stay fit, if they want to bad enough.  If I can do it as a very busy fulltimer with a very busy small business and lifestyle, anyone can!

Kev