How to stabilize my winny

Started by moonlitcoyote, June 13, 2012, 08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

I am having a bit of a problem getting my Winny stabilized. Last year when we had our Terry camper we put scissor jacks under the 4 corners to stabilize it and it worked great, no rocking at all.... BUT I did that with the Winny and it makes no difference. I can even feel when the baby rolls over. Do I need to actually lift the body? I thought just having the jacks under it with a bit of pressure on the jacks would work like in the camper.But I was obviously wrong, any suggestions on how to keep me from getting motion sickness while sleeping?

Froggy1936

Hi, the rocking comes from the suspension, You have to lift the body enough that the weight is not still on the suspension.  Great care must be taken as to where you lift .  As you can do a lot of damage if trying to lift on the outer body If you can look at another veh the same as yours with factory jacks would be the best or someone who has one equiped with jacks could advise you.  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Oz

I mounted mine on the ends of the chassis frame on each corner (I know a few other members have done this also).  A class A is quite heavy in comparison to a travel trailer so, yes, you do need to raise the chassis a bit more in order to put enough weight on the lift jacks and off the suspension in order to remove the body movement.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

moonlitcoyote

The problem I found is that there is no frame in the back to use for stabilization. The frame runs right down the center about 3 feet in from the outside wall on each side. I will try and get out there tomorrow and see if I can lift it a bit more.

Oz

Yup, that's how it is on all of them.  The frame is inset from the edge of the body.  You put your jacks under the frame near the ends, front and back, just before the bumpers.  Don't try putting them under the body... that would not be a good thing.

moonlitcoyote

UGH..

I bought 2 heavy duty used scissor jacks to put on the back of the homebago, I have electric jacks in the front. They only cost me $20, so if they wont work I havent lost anything BUT I put them under the frame near the rear and jacked them up as far as I could and they dont seem to make any difference at all. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe if I could get superman here to jack them up further? I'd really like to get some of the movement out of this thing.

Oz

I used to bring a bunch of 12" x 12" x 1½" pieces of wood and stack them up a bit before putting the jacks on top.  Maybe you can find a couple of cinder blocks?  All you have to do is get enough weight off the springs and onto the jacks to stabilize the body.  You may also try moving the rear jacks closer to the rear axle, if possible.

moonlitcoyote

I did set the jacks on cinder blocks, I was just not strong enough to crank the jacks anymore. Hence my comment about superman, lol. I have the jacks set as far forward as possible without tanks and pipes getting in the way. The old electric stabilizers were set about 3 feet in front of where I set the jacks. (closer to the front) But they just have 1 leg that comes straight down so they fit nicely where they were. Guess I'll get back under there and see if I can crank them any higher, maybe I can hubby to crank on them. ... Any ideas how I can tell when when I have enough weight off the springs? Is there something I could look for other than the body not moving so much?

DELTA912

i did 2 4x4 blocks. with 2x4 blocks in a cross pattern. raise it up to about 1" - 3" from the frame and raise the jack up.

all should keep hold.. not to muck sway and the 4x4's keep the water off the others.
If need be ill take a photo and up it in the gallery, just let me know.

If you remember Jenga. take the center block out and leave that area open. thats the pattern i used
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

jkilbert

I use 2x6's to level my Winnie under the tires. Then under the front of the frame just behind the bumper I use 2 12 ton bottle jacks to stabilize the front.  For the rear I have 2 side crank travel trailer tongue jacks that we welded a 4in inside diameter box onto the side of below the original mounting flange. These slide over my rear bumper and get pushed all the way in to the frame. I use 4x4 blocks to support under the jacks. For safety use the "Lego" blocks or wood blocks under the wheels to level and jacks to stabilize. I've already seen a trailer come off the jacks and almost roll over.....not a pretty sight.

John
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt