Windshield Wiper blade repacement 73 Winnebago Brave

Started by Frank M, June 02, 2012, 09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank M

Does anyone have a suggestion for a windshield wiper blade replacement on 1973 Winnebago Brave. Mine has what I think is the original straight blade and the rubber is coming off. You would think they would last at least 40 years!

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Oz

I got a regular set of replacement wipers (blades and inserts) and just did a little drilling modification to the original arm mounts.  After that, I was able to use any refill of the same length.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Cakeman2253

I have a 73, sorry not home currently, but took the blades to advanced auto and had them help match them up. Not a big deal. Standard blades fit, just don’t remember the size or brand, but you should have any problems.
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

DaveVA78Chieftain

I also ended up using the Bosch like adaptor that allows me to use replacement blades..  Drilled/tapped the arm to mount the adaptor.

Dave 
[move][/move]

Frank M

Thanks for the tips. I'll have see what I can find as far as an adapter. I like the idea of converting to regular blades so I can just use the refills in future. Now if it will stop raining one of these days I'll check it out!

Oz

I didn't even use a special adapter.  I just used the one of the ones that come with the wipers, drilled a hole through it and used a screw through it right into the metal wiper arm using the original hardware..
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

When I put new wipers on the Holiday Rambler, I couldn't find anything even remotely similar...so I used stainless long bolts and lock nuts, and bolted the new ones on from the side...still working great after almost 2 years of fulltiming with them.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Frank M

Just finished up with the blades. Bought a universal set from the auto parts store. I only need to drill off the rivet that held on the little metal tab at the end of the arm. Then slid the new wiper on and marked the spot for a new hole in the arm. Put a small stailess screw and lock nut on and it was together. I needed to make a slight bend in each arm about an inch from the end to get the blade angle right but no problem. I also noticed that ther is a little flip clip on the underside of the arm that allows for the arm to be extended or shortened. Thanks for all of the advice. Now I can drive around in the rain!

LJ-TJ

Great, great, Where's the pictures. What size blades did you use. What make. WHERE'S THE PICTURES? i??

perlgurl

I've also got a 73 Brave and my old wipers needed to be replaced, one was even taped on and therefore barely touched the window, so today I went to seven stores plus FastenAl for screws and though I thought what the truck and trailer place sold me would work still don't have my new wipers in.
It's so close but the arms thing is just a touch too big to fit in the wiper.

So frustrating.  I'm sure I'll figure out something....

M & J

M & J

perlgurl

Thanks M&J! I didn't think to search for just wipers, only for winnebago wipers since all seven places kept telling me I would have to get OEM parts or swap out the arms with universal arms (which no one had that would fit my brave) and when I finally did find truck wipers that should have fit, I was beat from spending nearly three hours running around.

So I perused that thread and I've looked at the Ansco and other than wanting to charge me $15 to ship, which I find ridiculous since I know they would fit in a flat rate mailer for $7 so I got them on Amazon instead!  So I'll have to return my truck wipers and go back and get standard J wipers. 

M & J

M & J

xerofall

terryfox605

I have a 1973 Winnebago brave.. blade replacements are available with the trico HD 63-151 even comes with replacement clips. No modification needed.