Exterior fiberglass & paint restoration project

Started by joanfenn, May 29, 2012, 04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joanfenn

After spending the last few weeks getting up close and personal with the MH we are ready to take off for a week.  It has been a busy few weeks too.  Started off by deciding I better get really serious about the exterior.  Sanded off the old stripes and gave the sides a light sanding.  They were really oxidized and it hurt to touch the sides with all the little fiberglass needles there.[smg id=4251][smg id=4252]

Then I repainted the light blue color, followed by the darker blue.[smg id=4254][smg id=4296][smg id=4297]

Then after rewashing it to get rid of all the dust it was time for the fun part.  Waxing !!!  Which I have to tell you was great.  After doing a lot of research I found out that lots of owners of the fiberglass sided TT"s and motor homes  ( Older models) use floor wax.  But they all talk about the great qualities of RED Max Pro.  Which I couldn't find up here.  I did find ZEP which is made by the same company.  I applied this with a roller.  Didn't have to look at the ladder again  :)clap Reapplied it three more times and now have a beautiful shine.  [smg id=4383][smg id=4385][smg id=4391][smg id=4388]

We have had some rain and cooler weather here so so far it is doing great. 

We also tinted the windows, installed two fan tastic fans, shampooed the carpets and have the beer chilling.  Looking so forward to great weather next week when we are off so hubby can go fishing and I can get caught up on my reading.  [smg id=4386][smg id=4384]

Great Camping, Everyone!!

TommyM

Wow!  And again I say, wow!  Great work!
'75 Midas Class C (parted out, scrapped)
'85 27' Chieftain (crashed!)
'86 33' Chieftain (sold)
'94 37.5' Elante 37RQ
Durango, Colorado

joanfenn

Thank you. I think that I took at least ten years off its age.  And probably added a few more to mine.

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Oz

That's what I call a "TLC Transformation"!

:)clap
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

OldEdBrady

LJ-TJ

Cakeman2253

That looks GREAT!
I really like the wolf eye on the back window. Is that a solid shade or can you see through it?
Do you know where you can pick them up or something similar??
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

joanfenn

Hello;  We got that here at Cabella's.  So you shouldn't have any trouble finding one there.  And you can see out but people can't see in.  Except of course at night.  Joan

newrvguy

WOW great job, I have a 1987 Pace Arrow 27' fiberglass rig what is the floor polish you used and will it work on mine?  Does anyone have a link or a picture of the stuff you used?  I am impressed and I hope mine will shine like that!!

treeman

looks great !!  What type of paint did you use?

joanfenn

I used tremclad paint.  Applied it very thinly with a four inch roller.  Then applied four coats of Zep floor wax, again with a small roller and very thin.  Lasted well from one year to the next.  Will have to apply floor wax again in the spring but can be done in one day.

bakerman

I used the Zep wet look on my 1996 Allegro it is fiberglass exterior with metal painted storage door. I purchased the coach 3 years ago. The exterior was 5 and the inside was a 10 when I bought the coach I intended to repaint and decal the coach. I was looking for a deal and with the oxidation on the coach I got a good price. When I got the coach home I used Bar Keepers friend and a scrub pad to remove the oxidation this was a lot of work and I was about to wet sand paper and some one told me about Zep. I started to read about on another site. So I thought I would give it a try I got micro fiber towels rubber gloves and a paint tray. In all my reading I was very important to prep you coach buy removing all old wax and oxidation so  another scrubbing and the dw and I started to apply the Zep we found out very quickly use very light coats in a small areas. Put masking tape over storage locks and keep moving around you coach. Put a light coat on and move around the coach. I worked from a ladder and she worked the lower sections. Dip the micro fiber towel into a paint tray with the Zep in it and ring it out just keep the towel damp.( secret to keep the runs rundown) First coat I was not impressed but from what I read it said to apply 4 or 5 coats. we ended up applying 5 coats and as it progressed the smiles just kept getting bigger. My coach was done almost three years ago. I applied a refresher coat about 3 mos ago. The decals really came back looking good, I have not had any flaking or yellowing remember its all in the preparation. I have good friend we did his 1994 Brave and he doing flips in the yard it looks so good. One thing I did not mention on the first coat I would do differently apply a very light coat on decals first they tend to bleed their color on the micro towels an you need to have several towels available. towels should be washed before applying Zep. This is my 3 motorhome and I figure I use to wax every 6 mos. now I Zep and it so much easer an less expensive. I would highly recommend it to any one keep  them shinning        :D :D

boogie_man

I went thru this on our 86, it was severely oxidized.  We took some heavy-duty compound and a good day of buffing and it just about all came back. Try a small area 1st to see if it comes back as it should become glossy where you polished it.  A lot of elbow grease will be needed.

pvoth1111

I used several products on ours and the best results I have gotten are from a boat cleaner wax....Starbrite.....
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"