Oil Dipstick Tube Leaks at Engine

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 5/9/2005 11:40 AM

I have a 73 with the 440-3 engine.  I have an oil leak where the dipstick tube goes into the engine and a PO had tried to repair it with all sorts of silicone sealer and wire and all sorts of junk that isn't doing the job.

My question is this, what did this look like originally?  Did it have a rubber grommet that the tube went into or a threaded connection or what?  It isn't a real big deal, it only drips a couple of drops a day, but it is making an annoying mess.  I want to stop the drip.

Sent: 5/9/2005 1:32 PM

I believe the end of original oil dipstick tube was just sliced off by Winnebago, and an extension tube added to bring the end out to the front of the radiator. There would be a short section of rubber tubing in-line where it began to turn toward the front of the vehicle.
I believe the lower dipstick tube itself is a light press fit into the hole in the block. No threads, no grommet. Due to corrosion on that tube near the manifold, I wanted to drive the dipstick tube out and replace it. It means hammering it upward from below, which I tried (I had the pan off anyway) but it didnt move. I would advise using a steel rod that is a -close- fit into the bottom of the hole, below where the dispstick tube ends. Drill bits come in 64ths of an inch for instance. That way you wont be just messing up the softer steel of the dipstick tube.
In the meantime, use of rtv gasket maker around the crack will probably slow the leak down. The rtv works better if you can get the area cleaned free of oil for it to cure.

Sent: 5/9/2005 3:51 PM

denison, according to the Motor Home Chassis Service Manual, the dipstick tube was supplied as-is by Dodge -- the manual shows the tube exactly as is is on our Winnies.

I believe that you are right about it being a light press-fit into the boss on the block, though.

John

Sent: 5/9/2005 4:54 PM

Hi Windell, the way I cured the same drip was I used a wire brass brush, cleaned up the tube real well and got the propane torch and heated up the end of the dipstick good and hot and fluxed it and tinned it over with solder and it made a nice snug fit. Yeah, no more leaks !  Dean