No Brake light on driver side. '76 Chieftain

Started by bitbyter, May 08, 2012, 10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitbyter

I just bought a 1976 d23c, but am having some problems with the brake lights.  I have taillights, both turn signals, but no brake light on the drivers side.  I Does anyone have any ideas on where to look for what's going on with the brake light?  Or does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 76 d23c?

Thanks
Learn something new every day, otherwise it's the ssdd, why even get out of bed.

LJ-TJ

Is it just the one brake light or both brake lights? Hm?

bitbyter

just the drivers side isn't working, turn signal works great on that side.
Learn something new every day, otherwise it's the ssdd, why even get out of bed.

LJ-TJ

This is really dumb. Have you checked the bulb? Put something on the brake peddle and then wiggler the bulb around in the socket. Sometimes it's just something simple like not making a good contact in the socket. Hm?

bitbyter

Yep, I've checked the bulb, cleaned all the sockets.  Checked wires with a volt meter at the socket.  Checked the fuses.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Use 74/75 Wiring diagram in supplement or the one in Resource area (http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?page=page558)  Chassis to body wiring connector is on left frame rail aft of the rear axle.

The problem you describe (both turn works, right rear brake works, left rear brake does not work) can only be in the turn signal switch in the steering column.  The small stiff wire for the left side in turn signal switch is not making contact the brake button contact.  Dodge uses a common brake/turn light setup.  The turn signal circuit was basically the same from 69 - 80.   Only real difference is how they supplied power to the hazard warning circuit (before hazard warning flasher)

Dave
[move][/move]

bitbyter

Thanks Dave.   I just had to replace the turn cam, so time to take a closer look at it and make sure everything is in the right spot.  Thanks for the help on the wiring diagram stuff.  I will have to check out that 75 diagram and the one in the resource center.

This "toy" is going to be a whole new world for me, i don't think i have ever owed anything dodge, before.  But hey, if you don't try and learn something new every day? if you don't then it's just ssdd. Why get out of bed?

bitbyter

Dave you are the man.  The problem was with that new turn signal cam that i have just installed.  One of the little bent wires was out of it's groove.  I snapped it back into place and now everything is working like it is suppose to.

Thanks again.

Eric