What kind of generator do I have?

Started by moonlitcoyote, April 15, 2012, 02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

My generator says Onan Emerald I Genset, the model # I can find is 4.OBGE-1R/ 26109B But I have searched everywhere and cant find that model. Am I wrong that that is the model #? It cranks but wont start, I have put starter fluid into it and it will run for a split second then die, it has spark so I am assuming its not getting fuel. So I am trying to find out if there is a fuel pump or just a fuel filter on it. Can anyone help, either with the model # or the problem starting? Thank you.

ClydesdaleKevin

Hang in there, moonlitcoyote....Dave or others will get back to you shortly and help you through this.  I'm not good with this, so I'll leave it to the experts.  Good luck!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

Thanks Kev, I did find that it has an electric fuel pump. So to see if the pump was working I hooked it to a 12v battery, but didnt hear anything, so assumed it didnt work. I went to NAPA and bought a different type of electric fuel pump, got it all installed and when I tried to start the generator the fuse on the front of the generator blew. :( I really wish I had a manual to the generator, there is a small black switch on the side of it that doesnt say anything. I dont know which way the switch should be or what it is for. Also, would the fuse blow if I had the winny plugged into shore power when I tried to start it? I know how regular generators work, but know nothing about these onboard generators.

Lefty

Onan BGE Service Manual
https://rapidshare.com/files/40043237/onan_service_manual.pdf

You have an Onan BGE Spec: B 4.0kw Genset
The Model # is 4.0BGE-1R/26109-B     
The breakdown of that is as follows:
4.0 - kw rating of genset
BGE -Model Series
1 - 120v Single Phase
R - Equipped for Remote Start
261** - Type
B - Spec  (This is the Revision your particular unit is)

It should have a Facet Fuel Pump,  Onan Part # 149-1994
Here is a place you can get it:
http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/1491994-fuel-pump-onan-p-345.html

Any universal electric 12v fuel pump that is rated for 5 psi will work just fine, you might have to modify the lines to make it work. There should be a fuel filter located in the line before the fuel pump as well. It uses 5/16" fuel lines.

The small switch on the right side of the unit is a 30 amp circuit breaker, there should be a label, but it may have fell off over he years... the switch itself should have the number "30" or "30A" embossed into it though, and that should still be readable.
The fuse in the front is a AGE 5A fuse (automotive glass fuse), and if it blew, you have a short somewhere to ground..or the control panel (circuit board) is bad.

Here is an excellent reference link on how to properly test,troubleshoot, and diagnose the circuit board.
http://gmcws.org/Tech/dsimmons/onan/onan.html

Lastly, your rig should have a circuit panel located somewhere inside to switch from shore power to generator power... It should be always set for shore power before cranking the genset to prevent it starting under load. After it warms up, you can then switch it to genset power. I always unplugged mine from shore power as an added bit of safety.

Lastly,
If you can't find anything else, try going to http://www.smokstak.com/forum
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

moonlitcoyote

WOW, thank you !!

2 questions though.

#1 As far as the AGE fuse blowing, before I changed the fuel pump, I sprayed starter fluid into it and it ran for a split second without blowing the fuse, did that multiple times, no problem. But after I changed the fuel pump and tried to start it, (it didnt start even for a split second) thats when the fuse blew. Does that 30amp breaker have to be in a certain position or something? I did switch it a couple times trying to determine if it was the reason it wasnt starting.

#2 Switching from shore power to generator power, any clues as to what I would look for? I have searched everywhere for anything I may need to know what it is/does. But I havent really found any switches that I dont understand except for 3 that a PO installed in the dashboard.

Lefty

To find your inside electrical panel, the easiest way is to trace where your shore power cord goes... it will always go to the panel, because that's where all your 110v power comes from.
Mine is located under one of the rear bunks (I have twin beds), but it can also be located in a closet or cabinet. It looks just like a smaller version of a houses circuit breaker box, and usually has a door on it. Most will have a lockout feature that prevents the shore power and genset power breakers from both being on at the same time..meaning if you switch the shore power off, it turns the genset power breaker to on, and vice versa.

I dont know what type of pump you purchased, but I would look at how you wired it up. Make sure you put the 12v+ lead to the pumps 12v+, and the ground lead to the ground on the pump...most pumps also have to physically be bolted to a grounded part to work as well.. such as to the engine case. If you just wired it up and left it laying loose.. that could be the issue.
Try un wiring the pump and then replace the fuse.. turn it over to see if it blows again. Then re wire it and see if it then blows the fuse.. if it does, you definately have found where your problem is at.

Lefty

forgot to add.. the small 30A circuit breaker on the genset...
towards you is "OFF", away from you is "ON"

It is there to protect the genset from overload. If you are running the genset and exceed 30A it should trip...protecting the genset from damage. It does not have to be in the "ON" position for the genset to run, as it has nothing to do with the engine part of the genset,  but it does have to be "ON" for it to produce power.

DaveVA78Chieftain

If the Rapidshare site does not work:

Onan 4.0kw BGE Spec: A-E Genset Operators manual: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/965-0130.pdf
Onan 4.0kw BGE Spec: A-E Genset Service manual: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/965-0530.pdf

Spec F-P use a different set manuals.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Your onboard wiring in an 85 to switch from shore power to genny power could be a few different setups.  That is new enough that you might even have an automatic transfer switch like our 89 did (I blew it up on ours reving the genny too high and replaced it with a plug).

You might have just a plug, like I replaced ours with...a lot of older rigs have that.  It will look like an RV receptacle like at a campground, and it should be located near your genny, or near where the power cord gets stored.  To use genny power, you unplug from shore power, and plug the cord into the receptacle.  This is the safest and most failsafe way of never overloading your system by having shore power AND genny power coming in at the same time.

You might even have a big manual switch with a fat dial on it...looks a lot like the switch we have on ours to choose between front and rear AC...

You should also have a remote start switch for the genny somewhere inside the RV...usually the dash.  They will usually say Onan, and sometimes even have an hour meter built in.  Our 89 has a momentary toggle added by Holiday Rambler that is labeled AC Generator, and lights up when the genny is running.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

Hi Kev, I found the receptacle inside where the cord is stored, and plugged the cord into it. But still no luck. Yes I do have a remote switch near the dash and an hour meter below it. The gas is reaching the carburetor but the spark plug is staying dry. I dont know enough about these carburetors to pull it apart, so hoping I dont need to. Any suggestions?

ClydesdaleKevin

They are very simple sidedraft carburetors, similar to those found on lawnmowers and whatnot...but I would definitely go ahead and get the rebuild kit from Onan before you start...always a good idea to use new gaskets etc.  Also, take note of the position of any screws and adjustment marks so that you put it back together the way it came apart...will make dialing it in easier.

Kev

DaveVA78Chieftain

Not a real difficult carburator.  Turn to page 6-13 (pdf 43) of the service manual link I posted above for a description and overhaul information.

Control of the BGE unit is described starting on page 7-1 (pdf 65).  It is not real difficult circuit.  The write up describes it very well.  Unless you wired it incorrectly, the new fuel pump may be drawing to much current. Wiring diagram is on 7-3 (pdf 67).  Fuel pump (E3 though it is not labeled clearly on the drawing) is just below the coil/points.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep, even I'm not afraid of generator carburetors... :)rotflmao

Kev

moonlitcoyote

Thanks guys, I am going to wait until my husband arrives from Colorado before I get into it too much. .. I just spent ALL day today trying to find a tire for it so it will pass inspection. I think Maine was the wrong state to be in when buying a Winny

k94536

on my setup if i have less than 1/4 tank of gas it won't run i found out by another form and i thought it was broke by me ( Ha Ha )
--
Those who risk nothingâ€"do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing!
------------------------------------------------------
"Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear to be smart until you actually hear them speak."