Updating 3 speed auto TH400 to 4 speed w OD 1977 Mini

Started by Froggy1936, March 17, 2012, 09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggy1936

I thought i was not going to have to remove the frt bumper . But when it came time to hook up engine the crane would not go back far enough, Also had to remove 1 of my stabilizer jacks .  Now i have a rear engine 1977 Mini Winnie  Frank  :laugh:
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Froggy1936

The TH400 Turbo trans , A perfectly operating Quadrajet And Alternator & starter  are for sale  trans have 101720 mi on it  Trans works pefectly and fluid is pink   As most of you know the only reason for taking itout is an update Not for any problems If interested send me a PM or contact @ vwmech  AT comcast  DOT net Frank  Also spare (new) starter and a couple alternators even an 100A model 

Froggy1936

Opps forgot Also have a complete overhauled with all new electric parts HEI distributor  and a couple electric fuel pumps for carburated veh and a brand new Mr Gasket adjustable fuel pressure regulator Also an assortment of new and used fan belts , and a almost new (approx 3000 mi Rad clutch fan )  Frank

Froggy1936

Well i got the fresh air duct repaired (stopped the squirell entrance) And repaired the water leak behinde the overflow bottle  and painted with rustolium rust restorer then  siliconed all repairs and seams , top coated shiny black . Install 95 eng and trans (12Hrs) just to get it mounted incl reposition trans x member and redrill bolt holes . Now i have a problem with rotary A/C compressor IT WONT FIT ! Two options no dash A/C   I Have roof unit and generator But that will destroy fuel mileage (the main reason for all this work) or modify dog house to make room for the compressor , This will require relocating acc pedal a few in to the left towards the brake pedal Requring left foot brakeing as right foot will be trapped under brake pedal MANURE COMETH !!But at least its in there and i have my garage space back . Decisions Decisions !! Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

Any way to relocate the AC compressor bracket?  Seems easier to relocate the compressor than to modify the doghouse and pedal arrangement.  It almost looks like you could flip it the other way around, although you might have to shorten the belt...there's always a way!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Curds & whey, milky Way anyway This just aint my day ! :'( The bracket is a 1 piece casting that goes all the way down and also holds the powersteering pump. i?? I hope i can find a serpintine belt that will work without the A/C compressor mounted till i collect more ideas.  $@!#@! Work will progress without concern for A/C for now still many other projects to be done .  :'(   have to have it running by May 20 for time to road test and Trap pond is in July then Ohio in August !  :(  Frank

Wantawinnie

I'd hit the junkyards. There must be another small block Chevy serpentine setup that is more compact.

Froggy1936

After more thought I am going to check with chev Dlr parts dept as to any other brackets that would move compressor towards center of eng If there is no such animal i will modify original mounting bracket Easier than changing body of veh Frank

Wantawinnie

I did a little internet searching and it sounds like the 4.3 V6 brackets will also work. Check out a 4.3 bracket setup from a Astro van. The A/C and alternator are switched side to side on those. Other ones to look at are Camaro and Caprice setups but if width is a problem I don't think they will be any better. The S10 and Blazers also had a 4.3 V6 available so that might be different. Good luck!

P.S You might want to check out post #22 on this link. He is using a 2006 4.3 setup that seems pretty compact.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=426867

Froggy1936

Thanks for the connection Wanna These guys are the ones that are into all things Chevrolet Swaps using mismatched parts from all years & models I see ideas here that i need Thanks again Frank

Wantawinnie

No problem, hope it helps.

If you need some measurements I have access to a 2005 1500 4.3 V6 route truck at work. It looks the same as the 2006 setup with A/C on the DS and alternator on PS. It appears pretty compact to me but A/C lines will probably be an issue for you.

Froggy1936

I had to have my 2 piece  driveshaft shortened 3 in (there were no other frt shafts of correct length)Due to center mount the difference is only in the front shaft  The closest place i could find was Collis Truck Parts in Northampton Pa  www.collistruckpartsonline.com  610-837-7268   They have been in business for 65 yrs and estimate they have 4 Million Tons of spare parts in stock There driveshaft area has over 100 thousand driveshafts all hanging from racks Very impressive !!This would be a good sorce for hard to find parts  Frank

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Froggy1936

Even tho winter has returned (35o at night & 50o daytime temps).  I have been doing some work inside ,And after 77 yrs learning about aluminum welding ! I had to fabricate a bracket for the cruise control cable and i have a lot of aluminum scraps sooo ! I have also decided on cutting and welding the A/C bracket as there are none that would move it far enough over, I had to switch valve covers to get the oil filler pipe out of the way and away from dog house wall on L/S made those brackets from steel & used a piece of washer drain pipe with hose clamps after cutting filler pipe curves out. Turned out well. Also had to add a heated CO% sensor to exaust syestem . (for FI operation ) All the wireing is in except drilling the hole in the floor to connect the control unit wich lives under the L/F seat . Cannot use the 95 floor mats as its dog house was larger . Now to figure out how to connect the starter, Wich now will go thru a relay wich is controlled by the computor  As soon as i get it mounted Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

Oi vey!  Complicated, but its awesome that you are figuring it out!  Great problem solving skills!  You are almost there!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Wantawinnie

Looks like your "to do" list is getting shorter. I've never welded aluminum but did pick up a welder that can do it a couple years back though.  Maybe time to learn.  Hm?

Froggy1936

Hi Wanna, I got some aluminum brazing rods H2000.  This stuff is fantastic for brazing aluminum (small /light stuff).  It can be done with propane or mapp gas.  Also works on large castings but you have to use oxy/acetlyne to get enough heat. The hardest part is that aluminum does not turn red it just melts and collapses @ 1218o.  This H2000 melts at 730o so you have some room to work in.  The brazed joint is stronger than the original metal I got some aluminum flux filled wire for my MIG and have to practice some with that.  But glad i have been pushed into this phase of manufacturing, learning a lot, purchased a Mapp outfit $65.00 rated @ 1200o this should do the trick. The oxy/ acet is tricky due to wile you are watching what you are repairing, the flame is destroying due to so much heat You have to use a cutting torch or a rosebud tip I only had the cutting tip Hm?   And all those times when i said wow if i could just weld aluminum this would be possible Now it is  :)clap Frank

DaveVA78Chieftain

H2000?  Will remember that the next time I want to weld up pin holes in a water heater.

Dave
[move][/move]

M & J

I used it to fix cracked side covers on an old motorcycle. works really good. Just have to wire brush what your applying it to really well.
M & J

Froggy1936

Opps,Sorry Dave its HTS 2000 & you have to use a stainless steel or brass brush. It has a hard time sticking if not brushed first, and you have to heat the material till the rod melts from contact with work not from the flame ! Its tricky due to small space (in temperature) that you have to work in. You have to get the work area above 740o but you cant go over 1215o or the aluminum just disinigrates. On the size of the casting i was working on,  i had to go to the oxy acetelene with a large tip ! (THe Mapp gas goes up to 1200o but the amt of metal was too great for it ). That was a little easier than the cutting torch wich made way too much heat ! Two people would be easier 1 to heat area and keep moving wile the other directs where heat is needed and applys rod . I also saw on line another product that uses a flux looked real easy joining 2 pieces. With this they reccomend tinning each piece first before trying to join together. I tinned a fish plate also and used that to join the parts rather than a butt weld. Its a learning thing like soldering pipes  The beginners kit is $55.00 Frank D:oH!

DaveVA78Chieftain

I had dabbled with a Mapp gas version back around 2005 but never got the hang of it.  One of those things that practice makes perfect.

Dave
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

I forgot to give ya the address New Technology products emailinfo@aluminumrepair.com  713-935-9292 Frank

Froggy1936

Well The compressor mount is installed with the compressor, Plenty of clearance now, also have to reengineer rear brace to manifold bracket. I also added bolts and nuts to the fishplates in case weld fails.  Next higer,pressure elec pump and fuel lines.To the engine, Alsao have to mount the remote power steering resivour and power steering cooler from the 95 van.Frank

Froggy1936

Heres the result of cutting two castings to make one that would allow room for the compressor !

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.