Windows don't close evenly

Started by Rickf1985, September 21, 2014, 12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

I have a problem with several windows on my 89 Chieftain, They do not close evenly. That leaves a gap on one side of the window. I have been looking at the hardware and I can see that the arm on one side of the window is pulling in tighter than the arm on the other side. The thing I cannot understand is how this is happening. You have the regulator/gear box on one side and a cross rod over to the other side. The regulator attaches directly to the cross rod and the arms come down from that. It appears that the arms are either welded or pressed onto the cross rod. I cannot see any way possible that this little gear box could produce enough force to twist the rod, I have stripped too many to know they are fairly weak. Anyone else have this problem?

TerryH

I only have  two of the awning type windows - bedroom and galley, but they both have a spring on each side arm (similar somewhat to a clothespin spring) that keeps inward pressure on the glass. Also prevents it from flopping in the wind and while driving if open. The arm/regulator/gear has a lot of slop by itself.
Any chance you may be missing these or something similar?
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Nope, springs are there. I took them off to see if the arms were tight and they are. Put them back on. You can see when the window is all the way open or closed that the arms are not in the same plane. Something moved, just don't know what. The regulators are riveted in so I would have to drill out the rivets to get them out. I am assuming this is normal and they can be reinstalled with screws?