Generator Fuel Pump replacement stock vs other

Started by tiinytina, March 02, 2012, 12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiinytina

I have a BGE series Onan Emerald I  4.0 gas generator (1987).. Given the exact serial number of the genny 2  fuel pumps have been purchased and returned to Cummins/onan because they are not a visual match to the unit currently on the generator which is original. 
    The first one they gave me was Onan Fuel Pump - 149-2331-01 replaced by A029G424 (intake on bottom side outlet on top).
     Second one was Onan Pump 149-2311-01  inlet bottom outlet top

I did find one on an RV parts site with a different part number that from appearances Size/shape/location of inlet/outlet, as well as mounting bracket at least appears to be identical to the original....  onan 149-1994 

There is no part number I can find on the old unit which is still mounted to the generator, other than its a Facet pump 574A.   (if I remember).  W%  (plenty of fuel running from main tank of RV, filter only, however 1/3 full, and stalls under load 95% sure its the pump)

Question is what are the differences. There seem to be no specs listed for any of them as to fuel rate etc....  I'd rather not have to rerun/extend/bend the existing lines to fit a different pump if possible. And twist in bracket already in place. 

Price tag for all are all in same range
Or just toss and aftermarket whatever on it? and have to rerun reroute lines etc...

I work on her under the adage do it once, do it right the first time...
Thanks!
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Well geeze, need more input!

If you have a BGE spec A-E generator, then the repair manual (http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/965-0530.pdf) says
For units built before june 86: 4-5 PSI (pdf page 49)
For units built before after june 86: 3.5-5 PSI (pdf page 50)

If you have a BGE spec F or later generator, then the repair manual (http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/965-0528.pdf) says 4-5 PSI (pdf page 78)

[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

HandyDan

I'm no expert on the subject but I understand that two Onan fuel pumps that look just alike may have different output pressures.  Some put out 2 psi while the other may be twice that.  However, there are a couple on eBay that may be of interest.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=onan+149-1994&_sacat=0&_odkw=onan+149-2110&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313&afsrc=1

Here is another possible source:
http://stores.ebay.com/Any-RV-Parts/Onan-Fuel-Pumps-/_i.html?_fsub=20644955&_sid=713255982&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322&afsrc=1
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

HandyDan

When I first got my motorhome I couldn't get the generator to run.  The tech guy at an RV dealer told me to tap the fuel pump fairly hard with a hammer several times.  They tend to stick when sitting and tapping breaks it loose.  It worked for me.  Just an idea. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

The Kohler in our old Itasca had an aftermarket pump and worked just fine. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tiinytina

Will test this pump tomorrow... on agenda after breakfast!

question: "could" the fuel pump not working be due to the control board ie. not getting elect. through board?  just wondering because my interior genny switch has "crapped" out as well.. I replaced the switch still nada.  fuses all good.. I will attempt to check charge to pump tomorrow.. just asking the logical question before I have to squeeze money from a rock....

I did today find 2 wires disconnected under the rig by oil filter (didn't have time or energy to trace) ... when I connect them a rather large solenoid mounted in front (behind grill) clicks rather loudly.. Tracing wires through/under Gone is nearly impossible because of the sprayed on insulation...  tomorrow will put on my "old person" reading glasses, (clean up as they are coated in gunk) with a shop light to see if the 2 wires are male female.. if so will connect, then hit the interior genny switch..  hoping sparks will not fly or nothing will melt..  ???

Tina

Lefty

The parts book I have lists the following.

Part # 149-1994  Used prior to genset serial # F860825839 (not interchangable with part # 149-2036)

Part # 149-2036 Used on gensets from serial # F860825839 thru serial # F863114065 (Also Genset Spec: C) (not interchangable with part # 149-1994)

Now, in my picture book, the part # 149-1994 is a tall round pump like the one pictured in the post above.  (this also happens to be the pump on my Onan 4.0 BGE)
The other pump looks like this:
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

tiinytina

Tested pump and it sucked in fuel from the clear bottle I used to hold gas for it. Sigh of relief... disconnecting the fuel line from the main tank however did not cause fuel leak though.. so think my fuel filter needs replacement.

going to buy new water heater today for gone though.. so chaching no matter what I guess.

Tina

DaveVA78Chieftain

The age old question:

Is the fuel filter clogged or has the rubber fuel line pieces (at pipe junctions) become old and cracked allowing air instead of gas to be sucked in?  Just had to replace all of my fuel line stuff do to age related rust and rubber fuel line failure.  From what I have read, the defective rubber fuel line problem seems to be the issue more often than not.

Dave
[move][/move]

tiinytina

I'll double check when I pull the filter I know the 6" of line from filter to pump is new. the 6" piece on the other side may be older, the line running from the tank is metal.... I have a new piece to replace either if needed....

tina

DaveVA78Chieftain

I was thinking they typically connected the metal fuel line to the tank with a short piece of rubber hose also.  This is typically the standard method used for attaching the generator AND engine fuel lines to the Fuel tank pickup tubes.  At least that is how my 84 P30 manual shows it.  The rubber line at the tank is the point most people have problems with.  Unfortunantly, that typically means dropping the gas tank to access.

Dave
[move][/move]