Valve noise uphill

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 6/21/2005 12:00 PM

Hey guys.  Just another question.

When going up VERY steep mountian roads, the Ark with her 413 can move right along. 

She does, however, make a considerable amount of valve noise, especially when she downshifts uphill.  Its not so bad that I'm worried about it, and it makes no valve noise at all on most hills, or flat roads and downhills.

Is this normal?  Is it an octain thing, since she was designed for leaded gas?  Any cures y'all know of?

Thanks!

Kev and Patti Smith

Sent: 6/21/2005 1:11 PM

Is it valve noise, or just fan roar or belts squeaking? I havent noticed any increase in valve noise on hills, even when my radiator was old and was overheating. Are you familiar with the sound of detonation. (a high pitched clinking under heavy load?)
If its pinging/detonation, it is a Bad thing, and you should either retard the spark or slow down and downshift. I havent heard my 413 ping, not ever. Partly this is because its compression ratio is only 8 to 1, lower than the 440, the 318, or most other v8s. Partly its because I take good care of my ignition timing mechanisms.
If its valve noise due to very hot/thin oil, it should remain the same when you reach the top of the hill, while the engine is at the same or nearly the same rpm, and you start down the other side.
If it quiets down immediately that you take your foot off the gas, I wouldnt think its valve noise- but rather pinging maybe?

Sent: 6/21/2005 4:36 PM

Could be, Dave.  It didn't sound like high pitched detonation, or pinging.  I just sounded like a very quiet lower pitched "clackety clack", like valve train noise.  I'll check my timing.

Kev

Sent: 6/21/2005 10:28 PM

I forgot to mention, that if you have too much oil in your crank-pan, it might start foaming up, when really hot and the engine is turning at fairly high rpm - due to the tornado effect of the spinning crankshaft on the oil. When this happens the air that is mixed in the oil will get pumped to the lifters, and the valve noise will increase some. Also the oil pressure reading will sag down. Slowing down, or letting the oil cool, and the foaming will subside. So check whether your oil pressure is drooping when you hear the increased valve noise.
Thats the only other thing I could think of that would result in increased valve clatter.

Sent: 6/22/2005 10:27 AM

Thanks Dave.  I did notice a slight dip in oil pressure concurrent with the noise, so maybe that's it. 

Kev

Sent: 6/25/2005 6:46 PM

Denison's last post reminded me of something and got me thinking:  Remember my post about the oil capacity of the 413, and how I over filled it by a quart or so?  I'll let you know if the noise goes away after the next oil change when I put the right amount of oil in the engine.  Thanks Dave!

Kev