Towing capacity for 1984, 32' Elandan

Started by Randy_in_Ohio, February 08, 2012, 05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy_in_Ohio

Good idea loading stuff in the back of the boat to keep the tongue weight down. I could fill up the fuel tank and we usually take a couple folding bicycles that could be stored back there too. then pack the pillows and blankets in the bow since they're really light... I think you could work with it a lot just by balancing the weight out. and I would be traveling with empty water and waste tanks,  which they probably assume that the tanks are full when they calculate these limits... 

That being said, I think I would still feel better knowing that the frame has been reinforced and the weight has been distributed over the rear axle.

ClydesdaleKevin

Hey Randy,

Its not the combined weight of the boat and trailer, and your gross vehicle weight that is really a concern.  Its the fact that older RVs, and some new ones, are built more like a unibody in construction.  The frame rails coming back from the rear axle are LONG, and they not only have to support the weight that you put on the tongue, they also support and are part of the structure of the whole rear of the coach.

Too much weight on the tongue, and the fulcrum principle again applies...it can actually bend the body rails down, snap welds, and there have been horror stories of the whole back end of coaches crunching...walls separating, floors separating, etc.

While I don't have any pictures, basically what you'll want your weld shop to do is add stronger frame rails, I beam type is ideal, but box tube will work as well....they need to be welded to the main frame ahead of the rear axle, and then get welded to the rear frame rails...it doesn't have to be a continuous weld, but a thick weld every foot or so will do.  It has to go all the way to the hitch.  Then cross members should be added...and if possible, angled supports should be welded from short vertical members welded to the now-reenforced main beams coming back to the hitch. 

This will increase your tongue weight capacity to around 500 lbs or better...you won't need more than this, or a trailer toad or whatnot, not for a boat and trailer combo that is weighing in at the tongue around 350 lbs.

If you decide to add a front receiver so you can use the nose of the RV to push the boat and trailer down a boat ramp, you won't have to get as serious with the supports and welding on the front.  The front IS the main frame of the coach...all you have to do is weld a square receiver to the main frame if there is a cross member under the bumper, or if not, weld in a cross member, and add the square receiver to it.

Hope that helps!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Randy_in_Ohio

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on March 07, 2012, 09:12 AM

Hope that helps!

Kev

That helps a lot kev.  Thanks again.

The weather forecast is looking good for this weekend, so I may take ownership of this classic soon!

HandyDan

I don't know if this would help any, but I have about as long an overhang as they come.  Here are some pictures of my tow setup.  The PO put a tow hitch on the front.  It is just bolted to the extensions from the frame to the bumper.  It doesn't have to be very substantial.  The tow hitch on the rear, however, is another story.  It is welded on to heavy I beams (actually more like a C channel) that are welded to the original chassis.  Because of the tag axle, they had to extend the rear quite a bit.  You can see in the pictures where it was welded on.  I'm tempted to say something about the levelers, but I'll refrain.

Front tow hitch

Behind the front air dam

Front tow hitch bolted to bumper extensions

Rear C channel welded on to chassis

rear tow hitch welded to C channel
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Randy_in_Ohio

Thanks for the pics Dan!

Was the rear of this frame reinforced?  looking at the 3rd pic it looks like this C channel is just welded to the frame in front? or is the original frame behind the C channel we see?

HandyDan

This is the way it came from Holiday Ramblerl.  That C channel is quite heavy and it extends along the Chevy chassis rails all the way to the dual wheels, so it is quite substantial.  However, I'm sure placing a heavy load vertically on the tail would have quite a leverage effect on it. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Randy_in_Ohio

I got a better look at the frame extension under this thing yesterday and I can definitely see the weak point where the extension is attached to the frame... about 3 or four feet of frame extension that is welded to the original frame. This is going to have to be reenforced and probably a new hitch welded to the frame before I even consider pulling the boat. A
Also going to have to update the wiring harness. My trailer uses a five wire setup which includes the reverse lights which must be plugged in to back the trailer up. If the lights are not plugged in on my trailer it will not release the brakes to allow back up.