Winegard Sensar III HD Television Antenna

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, January 23, 2012, 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

We replaced the existing Winegard antenna with a very similar-looking Sensar III, made for HD and digital reception...and the difference is night and day. It is powered by 12 volts for channel boosting, just like the old one on our RV.  The old antenna barely got any channels, while the new one, if anywhere near a broadcasting city, comes in crystal clear with a multitude of channels.

It mounts directly in place of your old one.  It is the type with a handle inside so you can rotate it, and raise and lower it.  Cost was around 170 bucks if I remember right, including shipping.

On our RV, I had to retrofit a little mercury switch to the arm of the antenna...it goes to a warning light on the dash that tells you if your antenna is still raised.  Two tiny screw holes and it was installed.  They are made exactly like the old ones, except the internal electronics.

It was more difficult to replace the old wall unit with the new one...it comes with a new wall unit...than it was to replace the antenna...but not because of any design flaws...its because the way our walls are made in the Holiday Rambler requires the use of specialized outlets.  I made it work though by fabricating 2 metal brackets, similar to the metal brackets that hold your gauges into their housings.

Now, the good part.  Your antenna still in good shape, but just not receiving digital channels?  I found this out after already buying the whole new assembly, but Winegard also sells JUST the antenna head...it replaces your old antenna head and mounts with just some c-clips and coax cable...and it is a LOT cheaper.  Over a hundred dollars cheaper.  It would give you the same results in channel boosting and clarity for a lot less money, and you wouldn't have to disturb the seal around its base on the roof.

We are quite happy with the performance of the unit. 

Tomorrow I'll write another review ...on the add-on Winegard Batwing...it clips onto the bottom of the Sensar III with plastic push rivets...no wiring involved.  It boosts the UHF signal to the antenna, which is where most digital channels live...and makes a huge improvement.  That is tomorrow's review.

Overall, the Winegard Sensar III is a great product and works quite well.  The fact that they sell just the head gives me an even better opinion of the company, which is based in Burlington, Iowa. 

Ours has withstanded winds of over 80 miles an hour, and still operates smoothly after over a year and a half.

Great investment for free television...I refuse to pay for satellite TV, which would be our only other option as fulltimers.

:)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

I concur with all, My Wineguard is very good at finding channels (though the coax cable went bad ) I just ran a new one down through the fridge vent.  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.