Fantastic Power Vent Fan

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, January 21, 2012, 12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

When we first bought the motorhome, we wanted to replace the existing vents and fans with a much better and quieter version.  The ones that came with the Holiday Rambler were the old fashioned ones with the little fans that sound like toy helicopters...lol.

Since Fantastic and Shurflo fans are expensive, we decided to go down to a few different RV dealers and get their opinions of which one was better.  Hands down, all the dealers said that while they both were good quiet vent systems with lots of air flow, Fantastic was by far better at customer support and warranty issues.  Two of the dealers told me that they have had customers with Fantastic fans that were way out of warranty and Fantastic still repaired them for free...one was replaced altogether for free.

So we went with the Fantastic fan.

And let me tell you...we don't regret it one bit! 

We bought the one with almost all the bells and whistles...but without the remote control...I mean, we aren't that lazy...lol! 

We chose the one with a smoke colored lid...they also come in white.  The lid raises up by itself, and you can manually raise and lower it as well with a knob.  It has a rain sensor, so if its pouring out when you are sleeping or not at home, it closes itself when the sensor gets wet.

Operation of the lid is quiet and smooth...it opens with a soft whirr of an electric motor, and closes tight.  The buttons are large and easy to read.

You can set a switch to vent air out...or in.  We always have it set to out...then it draws in nice fresh cool air from the windows, and vents out the old stale hot air.  The fan has 4 speeds, and even on the highest setting, its very very quiet...while still drawing a lot of air.

Ours also has a temperature knob/thermostat.  You can open the vent and turn on the fan...and if its gets cooler than you have it set, the fan shuts down.  If it warms up, the fan turns on.  Great if you have to leave your pets home for a short time and the temperature changes while you are out.  You can also set it to open and come on if temperatures get too hot in the RV...all by itself.  Again, the knobs and buttons are big, and well marked.

Installation is just as easy as any other vent/fan combo.  Putty tape, new screws, silicone, wire it in, put on the ceiling trim, and you are done.  More difficult on the Holiday Rambler, since the stock vents were RIVETED to the roof...I had to drill out the rivets...but most vintage RVs have screw on vents, so it will be easier for most of you that it was for me.

Cleaning the fan is a cinch.  The screen inside is set in a plastic ring...it has a lip to get your finger under it...pull, click, it comes out for cleaning.  That also gives you access to clean the fan blades themselves, and all the other components.  With the vent open, you can get to the top of the fan as well without removing the screen...if you are on the roof.  Older models have a screw-on screen, and you can buy the screwless one as an upgrade...it just snaps on in place of the old one.  New models have the screw holes for the old style screen if you like the screw on screen better.

They aren't cheap...around 200 bucks.  That is why we only got one for the living area...in the bathroom we went with something different which I will also review in a later post..

Worth the price to us though...for boondocking, its awesome...we hardly ever have to run the air conditioner, and since its a 12 volt fan, it runs off the batteries.  Not only that, but set to high, it still doesn't draw that many amps.  We left it on all day yesterday, and the volts it used were replaced entirely by the small 65 watt solar panel on our roof.

Hot and humid days, yes we still run the AC...at the Kentucky renfaire, with heat indexes over 100 degrees and super humid, the AC never stops running...but at most of the shows we do, the AC doesn't get run all the time...the fan gets run way more often

We are so happy with the performance and quality of workmanship of the Fantastic fan, that we are going to get another one for the bedroom.  The redundant rear AC unit, which is useless to us, is coming off the roof next month, to be replaced by another Fantastic fan and MAXXAire cover.  We LOVE the airflow!

:)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tiinytina

when we bought Gone she had 2 vents with those silly corner do nothing fans... all did not work and covers broken.  We bought 1 "Fantastic" fan - just the basic one for about $115 I think in 2006....  In/out switch, 3 speeds, and a knob to open. Smoke cover.   I put it in the bathroom of course... we use it all of the time, even with the AC on as it draws the hot ceiling air out.... just set on low.   we put a rain Maxxair cover over it so we can run it in the rain etc.... and with the RV rolling as well off the batts.   

Our older model requires removal of about 10 screws to take out the inner screen, so they have obviously made improvements to newer models! yea.... someone actually cooks in and uses their RV and has dogs...  :)clap

Tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Tina!  Yep...using your RV a lot, cooking in it, and having dogs makes those screens dirty fast!

A well supplied camping/RV store has the replacement screens for sale...they fit right where the screw-on kind does, and covers the screw holes.  I think they are around 20 bucks, but it sure makes cleaning them convenient!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tiinytina

Good to know! thanks Kev! wiping the inner surface is just not an option...  will find one!
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

George-47

I'm glad I saw this review..I plan to install it in the bathroom on my Elandan as mine, noisy 'copter style, has broken. When it wasn't broke I some times wished it was...

ClydesdaleKevin

Check out the Heng add-on Vortex fan kits while you are at it.  A lot cheaper, easy install into your existing vent, and perfect for bathrooms.  There is a review of them just one thread away as well.

Kev