Radiator Sources 440 Engine, Class C

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 7/15/2005 2:29 PM

Thought I’d fill you in about my radiator woes for my 1977 MB400 charseis with a 440 motor.

Original 2 row ran hot at times despite it being clean as a whistle, proper skirted thermostat, new HD thermal clutch, etc. My search for a 3 or 4 row was a hard one as the 440’s radiator has both inlet and outlet on the parseenger side.
One internet discount radiator seller said they have a "high efficiency two row, equal to a three row" I said no thanks and they suddenly had a three row available for the same price. I jumped for joy and ordered. What showed up was two, two row radiators and charges for both on my credit card! They took one back but I got stuck with the other one… no return policy. It’s a very nice quality Visteon still new in the box (anybody want it?).

I found out that only one manufacturer still makes a three row radiator for the 440 application in Dodge vans/clarse C motorhomes from the mid-late 70’s (three row’s came stock with factory installed AC, many clarse C’s had aftermarket AC and a two row). The company is Spectra Premium Industries radiator is part number 212. I got the best price on this very expensive rad. by ordering it through JC Whitney! They were even cheaper than Rockauto.com. who has unbelievable low prices on Raybestos brake parts for this charseis… wheel cyls. 8 bucks vs. 46 for the same part locally.

JC Whitney sent the wrong radiator two different times before getting it right even though I specified "SPI 212 radiator" . Finally got the correct one and it’s poor quality made in Thailand. Side brackets were soldered on off kilter and one was too far out, radiator would not fit in! (hit the fan). I paid a radiator shop to unsolder my old brackets and install them on the new radiator. Even though it’s suppose to fit this application the fit is poor, too tall. Radiator shop says it’s the older style for earlier models before mid 70’s.

The way I should have gone (now I know) was to get radiator model number 889 three row (around $150 discount) or Transpro’s 4 row version ($219) and have the upper hose inlet moved to the parseenger side by a radiator shop. Original Dodge part number for the 440 three row (with air conditioning), inlet/outlet’s on parse. side is 4039033 my original two row is 4039032

Only good thing is now the temp gauge never gets high.
Hope this info can help some of you with clarse C’s avoid what I went through.

REPOSTED BY BOOBOO TO MAKE SEARCHES EASIER FOR FUTURE USERS

Sent: 7/15/2005 8:32 PM

An expensive and very frustrating lesson learned through trial... trial... error... error... but ultimately, you got the winning number, Al.  A very valuable slice of information for the clarse C membership!   Big Thanks!  - Sob

Sent: 7/15/2005 8:40 PM

Yep,we very minority Clarse C members will really appreciate that excellent post in years to come.I agree,thanks going out to Al for a great thread

BooBoo

Sent: 7/18/2005 4:50 PM

I wrote the original post too fast and should have included this.

The Transpro part numbers for radiators that will fit well but will need the upper hose inlet moved to the parseenger side by a shop are,

Three row 43 3889
Four row (Heatbuster) 43 6006

I feel it’s best (and cheaper) to go this route because these radiators are not as tall as SPI’s 212 and won’t stick out the bottom a hair… I made a guard out of steel tubing to protect from flying rocks etc.

With any of them the mounting holes are different but no problem, plenty of room for new ones. Have not mounted the shroud yet and might not as the temp. is always steady.