Wiring Stop, Turn, Tail lights

Started by JDxeper, March 07, 2012, 07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDxeper

I am getting ready to rewire and install new STT and clearance lights on the 63 trailer.  I am looking for ideas on connections.  I have the two signal lights in the rear and a third tail/brake light bar, along with two dual side marker lights. I also plan on running a ground wire for each light. How can I arrange the connections in a neat package? 

I also have five running lights in the front of the trailer.  Same question on neat wiring ideas.

I have a 7 wire barman plug on the tow vehicle.  A new trailer pig tail that runs to a junction box.  In the junction box the electric brakes(two wire) and a cable running to the rear for the STT lights.
so I am interested in ideas for the connections to the fixtures, each fixture has a pig tail already.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

tiinytina

Given movement and moisture issues i'm a fan of soldering all wire connections. I like the snap on connectors though I've had a few pop open.

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Wiring exposed to the elements (i.e. under the rig) should use water tight butt connections (i.e heat shrinkable tubing) to prevent corrosion.  Wiring inside can use normal insulated butt connectors.   Use standard 4 conductor trailer cable so you can keep track of which wire is which both now and 2 years from now.

White - Ground
Brown - Tail Lights
Green - Right Turn/Brake
Yellow - Left Turn/Brake
[move][/move]

JDxeper

Yes the pig tail and the cable has the correct wire color to wire to standard code.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

jkilbert

"liquid" electrical tape also works very well for waterproofing all of your connections
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt