New here and looking at an '84 Winnebago Elandan

Started by Randy_in_Ohio, November 18, 2011, 12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

D:oH!    I can't stop going back and looking at your rig. Man that is one sweet looking ride. Does it have the bunk over the drivers seat? The kids are going to have a ball in it. I love that style floor plan. Storing stuff is like water once you get out on the road a few trips it will find it's own level. Think you guys will be able to make Jim's this year?

Randy_in_Ohio

I know, I keep looking at those pics too! Yes it has the pull down bunk over the front seats.  Not sure what your talking about at Jim's... please fill me in!

Randy_in_Ohio

Thanks for the info LJ. I sure wish I could attend Jim's get together. Sounds like a good time and a good opportunity to pick some knowledge up about my MH,  and it's only an hour and a half away from home.  But, as I already told LJ, I'm putting together a gathering for correctcraftfan.com at Salt Fork Lake that weekend. We are a group of classic correct craft (Nautique's) ski boat enthusiasts, much like this group only boats.  I appreciate the invite and I'll be sure to work Jim's into the schedule next year.
If anyone wants to stop for a night at Salt Fork while in the area I highly recommend it. It's a beautiful park and has a really nice campground. We will probably spend a lot of time there with the Elandan... so if your planning a visit let me know!

Randy_in_Ohio

I have downloaded the brochure from Winnebago and they do not have a dry weight listed.

Randy_in_Ohio

Well, I drove the Elandan yesterday and It drove pretty nice for a vehicle this old. steering was tight and the ride was really nice. It was a lot easier to drive than I thought it would be.  so I made him an offer and I'm picking it up tomorrow.  Now the fun begins.  I'm sure I'll have lots of questions..

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Congratulations  & welcome to the Ill never get it all done club.  Keep us updated  and anything you need to know just ask someone will probably have the answer  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Wantawinnie

Randy_in_Ohio

Thanks guys.  I know I'm going to have a lot of questions and I appreciate all of your help!  I sure wish I could make it out to Jims get together! 

I plan on just cleaning it up and using it the way it is this summer.  The kids are excited and can't wait to go camping, I think we may have to take a weekend trip down to Salt Fork or someplace not too far just to see how it goes!

fgutie35

I'm sorry I came late to the party so is kind of late to give you any warnings. D:oH!
Oh, well now is just a matter of making the best of it. I have a 1988 Elandan Sport 28EU that I'm selling. Primarily, because gas don't seem to get any cheaper any time soon. Another reason, because things this old, eventually have things that just plain give up. The structures are well made, but the small things, specially those made out of plastic, start to decay and come apart. Where do I start? Oh yes.. learn from my mistakes. After I bought mine, I spent the next two years bringing it up to specs. Aside from some remodeling. Like yours, we had the spongy floor by the kitchen. Do yourself a favor, when you are ready for the floor, schedule plenty of time (I mean like a month or two dedicated to it) to do it right. By that, I mean to gut all the inside that sits on top of the carpet. Then rip all the carpet, including cabin. Then buy water treated planks of 4x8 cedar wood 1/4" thick and cover the entire coach exept the cabin. first you are going to clean the plywood (which is cedar by the way) then you are going to apply wood glue, then place the wood you bought with the grain runnign perpendicular to the one alrady therre. After that, then nail away. The spongy issue, is due to a foam insulator that is sandwiched between two planks of wood. at the very bottom, there is an aluminum sheet metal that is painted with some black anti-corrosive paint. After you are done with I have mentioned so far, the sponginess will go away. After that, is your choice wether you want linoneoum or just carpet. at the cabin, you want to remove the entire dashboard and move all the wiring aside carefully untill all the metal is exposed. Then use bed liner spray for the the entire front floor and firewall. while you are there, look for any openings where the chassis meets the coach (you will know this because there is a thick sponge tape covering the seams or lack of. By now that tape is pretty much a goner so you want to replace it with some type of sealer tape. Well, that should get you started on your new journey. I will add more as you request. I have all the wiring diagrams and more info on that vehicle. All you have to do is ask.

Froggy1936

Randy The spongy floor is due to compressed styerfoam there is no water damage nor structural problem The best solution is to Ignore it !!!!  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The spongy floor can be compressed styrofoam as Frank suggested or signs of a water leak problem.  I am having to replace some of my flooring due to stress cracks that developed in a 60 gal water tank and the water leaked out.  Not saying something like that is your issue.  Just saying it is something that can happen.  The strofoam soaked up the water and held it therefore the wood sandwich the styrofoam is encassed in rotted out.

Dave
[move][/move]

Randy_in_Ohio

For better or worse... I brought her home today!

I want to take good care of this, like I do all of my stuff, and I feel the PO has done for this Elandan. But I don't want to jump into a huge overhaul right now either. Honestly, if I get two or three good years out of it and sell it for half of what I paid for it, I would be happy.  The memories with the family will be worth every penny spent!

fgu- thanks for the advice If we like the RV and it seems like it is worth it I may tear into the floor over the winter if it works out, and your advise on the dash sounds good. 
I would really like to have those wiring diagrams.