How do I Remove R&R Onan Genset Generator?

Started by recycled55, November 05, 2011, 05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recycled55

I have been trying to work on my bfa4.0 onan generator in my 84 winniebago chieftain thru the access panel.  I give up.
I have done numerous auto engines and I am a retired automatic transmission rebuilder so mechanical projects are not too big an issue. It seems reasonably basic but would appreciate any step by step details on getting it out where I can work on it.
Do I need a cherry picker because it weighs over 200 lbs I think? Will it fit thru the access or does it drop out the bottom?   Does the drip tray come out with it?
I am hoping for a lot of good ideas here guys.
I will need an exhaust system because of the rust/rot.  Any ideas for substitutes other than genuine onan overpriced parts?
thanks
recycled55
84 winniebago chieftain 22   SOLD
2007 four winds hurricane - I know not a classic

DaveVA78Chieftain

You have to use a floor jack to lower it down and out of the compartment.
Many of these,  the base plate was mounted in such a way that you could remove the bolts on the outboard side and then swing the unit down for  service.  Weighs 235lbs.  The operators and service manual are available in the Free Manuals section under the members area button at top of this page.  These generators are in fairly high demand so don't give up on it so easily.

Dave
[move][/move]