1976 Executive interior remodel

Started by Sasquatch, September 23, 2011, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

I posted up the chassis rebuild on the chassis thread, here is a link: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5701.0

Here is where I will document the interior remodel project.

And the story continues...... 

First an update.  After a year of use since the chassis rebuild, the coach is driving great.  I am only going to do two more mods to the engine and call it good.  One is fuel injection.  I am so sick and tired of a carb that it is time for a change.  Then I am putting on an electric fan to get rid of the noisy fan clutch and oem fan.  I am using a fan from a Lincoln Mark 8 which actually flows just about as much air as the stock fan at the RPM's I run.

On to the interior, before shots:

All in all not bad for 35 years old, but it is time for new.  All new flooring, replace counter tops, sinks, wall paper, and swap out the dinette for a couch and floating tables.  We are also putting in a new Dometic fridge.  Ours is showing it's age, and having the auto start and switching of the ones is going to be really nice.  It is a Christmas gift from our parents.  Thanks mom and dad!

Dig the original carpet that was hiding under the seats....

Sasquatch

Time for another update.  This is turning into "Extreme Home Makeover, RV Edition".

Had to pull the door and frame out to get the old fridge out of the coach and the new one in.  When I did so, I found some severe damage lurking in the entry step area.  For a coach as well built as this one is, I was fairly disappointed with how they constructed the entry step area.  It was a VERY light aluminum sheeting stapled to a plywood box.  This was to take all the load of entry and exit for years to come.  Added to that, a powered entry step was bolted up under it which added not only shear but torsional loads to the bottom of the box.  I knew it had been feeling "spongy" for years, but now found out the door frame was the only thing holding this area together. :puke1

The fix.  3/8 aluminum plating welded into a structural box, bolted through to supports on the frame.  All the wood put back in place, epoxied, and the step bolted back through the plating.  SOLID.  I can jump on the step and it does not even budge.  No small task for those that have seen me.

I also strengthened the door opening where the wood joints were.  I could see evidence of some flexing in this area.  All the wood was in good shape, so I just tightened everything down and added some corner bracing.  It will all be hidden behind the door molding.

Carpet in the drivers area is now finished.  I used a generic dyna mat as well as reflective thermal insulation on the floor topped with 8lb carpet padding.  Should help with heat and sound transfer.

New Dometic fridge is in place but needs to be finished.  Doors need to be installed as well as the trim work around the fridge finished to match the new size.  That is my next project.

Sasquatch

Been busy in the old girl.  Finally hit the end of destruction and will be starting the assembly mode today.  Pulled the rest of the old carpet and pad.  Removed the shower door, toilet, counter tops and peeled all the wallpaper.  I will be doing wall prep today to get ready for painting.  The counter tops will be going to the cabinet maker tomorrow to use as patterns for new ones.  Then on to the new subfloor and flooring.

Sasquatch

Time for an update.  Been working pretty hard on the old girl.  Flooring is done and the couch/sleeper installed where the dinette used to be.  The counter tops were delivered today and I got the bathroom one installed, along with the new potty.

Still need to stain out the trim on the counter.

Things are turning out really well.  Tons of detail work to complete now.

Sasquatch

Well, the interior is complete.  There are some little touches here and there that I want to address, but for the most part, here she is.  Before and after shots:

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ