1984 Elandan window leak

Started by sharkfot, September 20, 2011, 06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkfot

I have a "seep" on an inside corner of one of the rear windows--what is the most likely cause--I have reviewed posts here but most seem to refer to a different type of window--I have attached a photo for illustrative purposes--feel free to download it and "paint" it if this will help explain anything!

Regards,

Ben III
Lakeland, FL

Oz

Well... maybe.  I don't see any weep holes in the bottom frame.  These allow water to trickle out.  Of course, they may be there, I just can't see any.  Anyway, if the water is sitting in the channel and there's a breakdown in the sealant or the window frame itself has a minor crack, then the water can get in since it has no place to go.

One thing which was brought up about the longer Elandans (don't know how long yours is) is that, due to the excessive overhang on the rear, the weight can bend (or in some cases has actually broken) the chassis frame.  So, there could be a little buckle in the body and the corner of the window could be a stress point which caused a minor gap or minor crack in the window frame.

I think our Elandan owners would be most helpful here.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

sharkfot

The coach is 31 ft.--I thought about the "rear sag" that you mentioned--possible--however the frame of the window seems to be square--the bottom "flip out" windows seem to be in line with the frame when cranked out and in--the weep holes are there--can someone explain the relation between the bottom portion of the window (where the crank out windows are--seems to be thicker) and the top portion (seems to be single glass)

Oz

Well, at least I offered something and that eliminates a few possibilities (which, the frame sag thing would have been an awful thing if it were the case... I'm VERY glad it apparently isn't!)

fgutie35

I'm as puzzled as you. In my case it only happens when is a heavy rain or down pour. It does not happen with light rain which makes me think about water saturation on the lower corners of the top window or around the seal that meets the lower window. I have seen water dripping aournd that seal and if the window is not tight close, some water goes thru. Once it gets fresher aound here, Im gonna tackle that problem once in for all.

sharkfot

Yes--same here--only heavy rain-- I recently resealed EVERYTHING on the roof with eternabond (great stuff)--the thinking here is if water was is getting in somewhere above the window (like the where the  "luggage rack" is mounted) it could be flowing around the window frame on the inside and coming out the bottom corner--I have learned that visual inspection of seams etc. is not enough--you can have sealant that looks solid be practically non-existent!  Please post if you have any thoughts or discoveries!

claudio and christine

Hi do you still have the Winnebago Elandan......??
did you figure out what the leak was......??
Was it the rear passenger side window....?
Thank you

Oz

He hasn't been on in about 5 years.  Assume he sold it.