Petiton for Maryland "Historic" Motorhome Plates

Started by dgapilot, September 19, 2011, 12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgapilot

Hi guys, I recently purchased a 1987 Itasca Windcruiser and was hoping to put historic tags on it. I've been researching the appropriate regulations and while not specifically excluded (except on the application) it is doubtfull that I can do it with the way the current regulations are written. That said, I've petitioned the DMV Office of the Secretary to change the rules, and I've also contacted my State Assemblymen and Senator to change the Maryland Code to allow it. I would suggest any other members here to follow suite. I know it won't get done overnight, but if enough of us ask, we might get it done. I've attached a copy of my petition for anyone that would like to copy it and put their name on it.

I've seen some Class Cs with Historic tags, and don't know how they did it, but I haven't seen any Class As with them. If you have a motorhome with Historic tags in Maryland, please let me know how you got away with it.

Thanks,
David

tiinytina

David, Where are you? In MD too and would love to put historics on Gone a 1987 as well since we only put about 3k miles on here a year anyway... i'll support your bid to do so!!!
tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

dgapilot

Tina,
I live in Union Bridge, mid way between Frederick and Westminster. I'm new to RVing, and just purchased this rig and it's already broken down twice. It's at the shop now most likely for a transmission. All I've done so far is drive it home (actually had it towed the last 15 miles!). Needless to say, my wife is not a happy camper (pun intended).

Oz

David.... Since you've shown your support for the continuing operation of this community, you have many resources available to you, one of which is the ability for full use of the Private Message System and to view and search the Member List.  My suggestion for help in presenting your petitiion would be to compose a brief message and send it to all the Maryland members via the PM system.  For a list of these members, simply go to the Memberlist, choose "Search members" and un-check the two default boxes.  Click on the "State" box and enter MD in the search box.  This will bring up all our members who live in Maryland and you can send each one your message.  This message will go to all those members here on the site, not their personal e-mails.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

dgapilot

Mark, Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that.

Meanwhile, I've been in touch with one of my representitives in Annapolis. She sent an inquery to the Secratery of Transportation and is expecting a response today. I'll keep you informed.

dgapilot

Mark, I started sending the messages and hit the "more than 10 messages in an hour" limit. Is there a way to select multiple recipients and send one mass message?

Oz

I didn't want to make the limit but, in the event a spammer would get in, I wouldn't want to make it easy for them to hit everyone in a short period of time.  However, being that this really isn't an issue due to the method I set up the registration, program safeguards, the requirement that only Full Members can make full use of the PM system, and due dilligence in personally reviewing every new applicant, I think I can change the limit since our site has been virtually bullet-proof.  I'll change the limit to 50.  This can be a plus for members who may want to contact a larger group for instaces such as this.

If you want to send a message to more than one person at a time, go to the Member List > Search Members option > type MD in the search block > Un-check the first two blocks > Check the box next to "State" and then hit enter.  This should bring up all the usernames of our MD members.  Jot down the first 4 characters of each one, or use a split screen, and in your PM composition page, in the "To", type in the first 4 characters of a username.  A drop-down will appear with any member who's username starts with those 4 letters.  Click on the one you want and it will appear on the "To" line.  Do this again for each member and their username will be added to that list.

Thank you for your suggestion.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

dgapilot

dgapilot

OK, I think I've gotten a PM to each member that lists MD as their home state. Now, anyone that knows someone that lives in MD that has an interest in old motorhomes, please let them know of our efforts to get this done. I think we can do it if we get sufficient support.

Cakeman2253

I can tell you I am running historic plate on my Winnie (73). I have had the plates for several years. I was told via a friend that the law had just recently changed (within a year). I am grandfathered since I already have the plates, but would like to help since I never know when I may pick up another one.

The most interesting thing would be how can they properly preform an inspection. Several mechanics (truck fleet/inspection stations) I talked with don’t have the specs or even know how or where to get the spec to properly inspect something this old.. I would be at a total loose, since it’s been converted to 4x4.
Let me know who I can help
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

dgapilot

Thanks cakeman. For now, just find out who your state rep is and hopefully after the new year we will have a bill introduced in the state house. Then we will need to get busy contacting the reps asking them to support our cause.

tiinytina

From my delegate:  :)clap now to see what happens!

Dear Ms. Paul,

I want to thank you for your letter. I am not aware of any legislation in the past to include vintage RV’s in the classic tag program. I will contact MVA about the process for this issue. Please feel free to contact me regarding any issue that you feel is important to you and your family. My office telephone number is (410) 841-3551
Sincerely,
Bob Costa
Delegate, District 33

dgapilot

Got an email from my state assembly person today, the MD Department of Legislative Services is drafting a bill to be presented in the next session of the General Assembly that, if enacted, will allow Historic Plates on Multi-Purpose vehicles. Contact your state representitives and let them know that you are interested in having this enacted. Ask them to cosponsor the bill when it comes up. When I get more info, I'll post it.

tiinytina

yea...

Delegate Costa is a friend of a friend (who also ran for local office)... so I will keep on it!

Tina

dgapilot

HB 668 was introduced into the Maryland Assembly this week to re-define Historic Vehicle to include Motorhomes. They had to make a concesion and changed the age from 20 years to 25 years in light of the current budget crunch, but I think this is a good start. Contact you state representitives and ask them to support this bill.

http://mlis.state.md.us/2012rs/bills/hb/hb0668f.pdf

tiinytina

I emailed my delegate Bob Costa months ago for this... and he said he would do it.. (friend of a friend)... ok and on a 1987 stretch Gone (posted in my album) that had 3/2013 expiration sticks on... yea.. though I just paid my $200 to register back in November.. grumble...    ok age concession to 25 yrs.. that is what it has been for historics in MD as far as I know... ...
but yea! I will have to send him a thank you email
Tina

dgapilot

Tina, It doesn't look like Bob Costa is a co-sponsor of this, so you may want to contact him again. It's not in the bag yet, it was just introduced and still has to go throught the legislative process. Getting support from the state assembly and senate, then signiture from the governor.

David

dgapilot

Ok, our bill is making it's way through committee. There is concern about the fiscal impact of the bill. As all are aware, Maryland his having monney problems! In any case, they are concerned that there will be a mass change from the Class M tags to the historic tags, and that the difference in fees collected will cause problems with the State being able to pay it's bills. Since I know a number of older MHs are already running Historic plates, Rep Kelly Schultz has asked if you could email her a copy of your registration to show it is already happening and there will be a minimal impact on the state revenue from this change. Please email a copy of your registration to Kelly.Schulz@house.state.md.us, and indicate your support for HB668.

Thanks,

David Schober

tiinytina

Email sent! Del. Costa also said he was going to look into this but has not touched base for a while though I am now not a part of his district....

When I registered Gone in 2005.. I put down RV and the folks were like.. we have no classification for that... so I put down Tiffin.. again.. nada.. so she is registered as a Chevy.. and had to take her down to emissions to prove she wouldn't fit in.. :-)...  but $30 would be much preferable to the $200 check I just so cut to renew her tags for the 2000 we drive her a year if that..

Tina

Weavebago

Did I miss something? When we moved to MD in 2005 we got the Weavebago tagged as historic and all it took was one sheet of paper that we got from the DMV that stated that we would not drive over "x" number of miles per year and that it had not been "modified" from its original state. No inspection no emmision no nothing! we just sold it a few months ago and turned in the Historic tags and I'm pretty sure the new owner got Historic tags for it too? I think it applies to anything over 25 yrs old.

dgapilot

The bill passed both houses unanomisly. Waiting for the Gov. to sign it. It is supposed to take effect June 1 if he signs it.

dgapilot

It's official, in MD after June 1 you will be able to register a motorhome 25 years old or older with Historic plates. The Gov signed HB668 into law today!

tiinytina

Wohooooooo!!!  of course I just so renewed the tags on her in November for $200....  $@!#@! 
Tina