Is a Motorhome Better than a Travel Trailer?

Started by JimVol, September 12, 2011, 12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimVol

I went camping this past weekend.  It was spur of the moment, on Friday I texted my wife while I was on break and asked if she wanted to go.  She said "yes"  so we packed up and went.  (had a great trip by the way :))

Hitching seems to be a time issue for me.  It takes me forever to crank up and down the tongue, hitch up, attach the sway bars and spring bars.   

The biggest issue for me is set up and tear down.  It just seems to take so long for me.  The campground was about 10 miles from home, no worries there.  But with the weight distribution hitch hook up, cranking the tongue up (its a manual one), backing the ball under it, hitching the ball, cranking the Tongue up (again) to be able to hook the wight distribution bars on, slapping on the sway bars, cranking the tongue down, hooking up the trailer brakes, emergency release cable.  I was worn out just from packing up.  Never mind the kids in the truck asking me out of the sliding rear glass "Are you done yet?"

It took me over two hours to pack camp, hitch, drive 10 miles, park the TT (at home) then reverse the unhitching process and unpack the TT...

I want a motor home.... that is what I was thinking the whole time I was hitching up, towing, and unloading the Travel Trailer today.

I was thinking that if I had a motorhome, I would have packed up camp, (patio rug, folding table, and a few chairs and bicycles) put in the awning, crawled behind the wheel and took off.

Here is my question for my wonderful motorhome friends here.

Does a Motorhome make those spur of the moment trips easier?  Is the pack up and tear down of camp easier?  Will a motorhome simply make my life easier, like I think it would?  (I have two boys and my wife and I) 

Thanks!
It's kind of fun to do the impossible -  Walt Disney

Lefty

We started out camping with a tent. Then a pop-up, which we enjoyed. I could have it fully unhooked and set up in less than 30min. Then we upgraded to a real travel trailer. What a difference! Now we could leave it fully stocked, except for food, and just hook up and go. But as you said, it still involved unhooking it, levelling it, hooking everything up,etc... plus a travel trailer has no power unless you are hooked up to electricity (except for 12v lights if your vehicle plug supplies 12v power to it.), the upside was it did have a gas powered fridge, and hot water heater, and had holding tanks... making basic boondock camping possible. Or, allowed for a quick hot lunch on the side of the road.
The biggest advantage we found when we bought our first Class A rv, was that we could get up, walk around, go read a book, make lunch,go watch a movie on the dvd player,go play a game on the laptop,or even stretch out on the bed.. all while the other kept right on driving. The difference in travel comfort is a world apart. Plus, if your rv has a genset, you can run it while you drive and have full 110v power available .
The downside is, if you don't tow a vehicle behind you, your pretty much stuck where you camp. unless your camped where there are good transportation options available, such as at Gatlinburg,Tn. where the trollys run virtually everywhere, and are cheap to ride. If you do tow a vehicle... your back to your original problem.. hooking up and unhooking. The rv itself sets up and has to be levelled pretty much same as a travel trailer. So theres no real difference in time savings there.
I will say this... it sure is nice to be driving down the highway, and want a hot cup of coffee, and have a fresh cup handed to you while you drive. :)
It's the small things that make the difference. lol
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

LJ-TJ

Yep! Lefty's got it right. One of the things I enjoy most with our Class A is that you sit high in the saddle and can see over everything except commercial trucks. When you get hung up at the border for those three hour waits you got a bathroom,food and entertainment. We just had both our parents pass away and found the motorhome real handy for hospital visits. Go visit a bit,down to the motorhome for a rest and then back up for a visit. We're an hour out of the city and don't know anybody there so when we have Doctors appointments we make them for the same day and take the motorhome in town,that way one can relax while the other takes care of business. Oh! Our rig is a twenty-one footer so it fits in a regular parking spot.My 1979 Lincoln is 22' feet long. She's ready to go twenty-four seven minus food. For $1,000.00 bucks it might be worth giving it a try if it doesn't work out you can always sell it for what you got in it. Just about every motorhome will get you 8 to 10 miles to the gallon on AVERAGE. Hm?

JimVol

Thank you both for your replies!  I think that I am going to save up for a classic motorhome.  I found a Allegro bus 1980 ish, that has been sitting in a back yard for years, I may try to look up the owner.  I also found a Dodge Travco (water leaks! on high alert!!!) It has been for sale for over a year and a half, asking 1000$ for it.  I bet I could get it for $600, LOL,  just speculating now. 

It has the 413, automatic.  dual roof air. 

Hey a man can dream right?

ibdilbert01

There is pros and cons to everything, but I think the pros outweigh the cons with an RV.   My biggest complaint with the RV was lack of transportation after setting up camp.  With a trailer, you always have the vehicle to drive around.    That being said, I've had to drove my winnie in some pretty tight towns and cities, but really with no issues.   My D20 actually fits most parking lots as well. 

Recently we have been flat towing a vehicle behind the RV, but you have to keep in mind when flat towing, there is no backing up, so your always on guard when pulling into tight places.  You also have to go through the whole hooking up and unhooking ordeal as well.

But once you take a few trips with an RV, it kind of spoils you, especially with kids.  There is no greater feeling than riding in the bathroom on the highway.  :laugh:  I myself prefer an RV over a trailer, but its all an opinion. 

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

jkilbert

every kind of camping has it's pro's and con 's. i've tented, had a pop-up, still have a 32' tt and also my winnie. they all have their advantages and drawbacks as everyone has mentioned. when i was towing my trailer i had a 3500 series suburban, it did well getting around 13mpg, however at almost 6000 lbs it's not something you'll pull behind your winnie for your get around transportation. just like the small econobox car works well behind a winnie but you're not going to tow anything larger than say a teardrop behind it. also don't forget that if the vehicle you're going to tow with is not set up you'll need to get the reciever, weight distributing hitch, brake controller ect. adding close to another $500 at least onto your costs. all i can say is find what you feel is best for you and have alot of fun camping.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

JDxeper

For my two cents worth of nonsense.  The motor home always needs repairs... another motor unit to maintain.  They are great providing you can do the mechanicals.  I have at least one of each.  I use the trailer when out side of my 200 miles tow zone( AAA rv insurance) on the motor home.  Both works, still your preference.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

greggholmes

Time to teach the kids how to help. Untill we where old enough to drive all dad did was back up the truck. We did the rest. After we could drive we had it all ready to go when they got home from work.

tiinytina

Have to agree with owning an RV and owning an Allegro 1987, they are very very well built...   Best part of owning a Class A is yup, having your own  bathroom on the road, in my book... also our dogs can walk around while we drive, fridge, food is accessible....   

Bad part is yup, another engine etc to maintain, big tires to buy, registration and insurance....

We keep ours stocked with canned goods etc so only need to toss is fresh foods, clothes, all our dogs, and in 30 min can be driving down the road....  we don't have a toad. 

tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

TommyM

Count me as another vote for a motorhome.  I enthusiastically agree with all the above-listed benefits (bathroom always available, wife can make me a sandwich, dog can run around, no hitching up, ready to go on a moment's notice. . . ). 

Plus if I want to drive late, I can keep driving while my wife and kids go to bed.  Then I can just pull over whenever I'm ready, or stay up late driving as long as I want.  You can't do that in a travel trailer.

Tommy
'75 Midas Class C (parted out, scrapped)
'85 27' Chieftain (crashed!)
'86 33' Chieftain (sold)
'94 37.5' Elante 37RQ
Durango, Colorado

HandyDan

I've had and still have a tent, pop-up, class C, and Class A and have owned two travel trailers.  I like the conveniences of a Class A but they aren't always the best way to go.  Every year I have to have it inspected and renew the license plates, there is constant maintenance, and it is way more expensive to maintain than a travel trailer.  When we go boondocking over 500 miles we take the pop-up.  Much easier on gas and has all the comfies of a travel trailer.  I like the old Class C when it is just me going somewhere fairly close.  However, the Class A is the way to go for our annual gatherings of friends and families.  It has hydraulic jacks that level the coach with the touch of a lever.  But the cost of gas keeps me from going over 500 miles.  It is also very noisy to drive.  You are sitting right on top of the motor and you would be surprised how much noise the carburetor makes.  Insulation helps but it isn't like a car.   Instead of pulling a toad, I pull a boat.  Another advantage of a motor home.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

tiinytina

ok or like me.. the Wife (me) drives... while hubby makes me a sammy and fetches a cold soda  :angel:... and LJ will agree with me!!!!  :D :D Cause some of us chicks just love driving our rigs....  :)clap just sayin'

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

OldEdBrady

I'd LOVE to have an RV again, but I just can't work on them any more.  With our trailer, it usually doesn't take me that long to hook up and unhook.  The biggest advantage I have with the trailer (and this has already been said by others) is that I have a vehicle so we can move around without the trailer.

The trailer has needed work, but none of it prevented us from using it in the process of remodeling it.  Most was cosmetic.  Some was mechanical.

Having used tents, etc., an RV is best (in my opinion) if you can work on it, or can afford to have it worked on.  Next would be a trailer--travel or pop-up.  Last would be the tent, and even that was fun for us after I figured out what the devil I was doing.

George-47

My only addition is more a YES vote on the motor home side..I pull a CRV w/a Blue Ox set up...on a bad day takes maybe 10 min to hook, & that's because I didn't line up right, the unhook is just a couple of mins...backing w/a toad is an issue...but after the first time you get yourself into that predicament & have to do the PIA thingy odds are you'll learn to avoid them again..

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep...definately prefer a motor home.  I can hook my Jeep up in minutes, and disco it even faster, and since its a 4x4 Cherokee, all I gotta do to tow her is stick the transfer case in neutral...no special equiptment needed.

What I like best about the motorhome/toad setup is that the toad is so small compared to the RV you barely feel it back there.  Even a big heavy duty truck pulling a trailer is gonna FEEL it, especially in side winds and when braking.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

JimVol

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on this subject.  Something I like about owning older stuff is that I actually own the stuff.  Looking back on what I experienced with my travel trailer I am convinced of two things,

1) I have the wrong tongue jack on my TT.  Mine is a top screw, and I need a front jack handle or better yet, a power jack.
2) I was rushed to pack up camp, and when you are rushed to pack up, then you get frustrated. 

I actually enjoy pulling my Travel Trailer.  I have a good weight distribution hitch and dual sway control so the combo is very solid driving down the road.

I am sure that there is a class A sometime in our future.  Right now I must be content with my Travel Trailer...

Thanks!

Jim

George-47

Yes Jim ...paid-in-full ...how sweet that is...

1---I've never owned a power jack but saw some for sale in a farm/feed store up here in Mi. ..I wonder if there's a modification that would allow a Drill motor to spin the crank for you...??
2---I always end up forgetting something...I think it's the nature-of-the-beast ...

I bought my Elandan just because I fell in love w/her...The DP because I couldn't turn down the deal ..when you least expect is when your opportunity will happen.

moonlitcoyote

I just bought my Winny so i cant really say which is better but before this we had a 30 foot travel trailer and a 30ft 5th wheel and we always said we liked them better because if the pulling vehicle broke down or the engine gave out you could replace the truck, but with a motorhome you have to replace the engine or get rid of it. Also with the winny we wont be able to tow another vehicle and our boat, so we will be stuck driving the winny around if we want to fish, which we always do... I see us getting another travel trailer in the future

LJ-TJ

There really is no better or worse. It is personal preference. You hit the nail on the head in all cases. Motorhomes are not cheap no matter what you pay for it. I've seen people given a motorhome for nothing and over a short period of time have thousands into it. I've see people buy newer motorhomes and still put thousands into it. In many cases a older motorhome is a chaps or ladies HOT ROD/ CUSTOM CAR. Quite a bit of the fun is running across a group like this who are willing to share their experiences with you on how they fixed a particular problem with their rig and then you going out and fixing yours. Or you coming up with a idea how to fix a particular problem with yours and everyone's going " what a cracker jack idea" I think I'll do that to mine. Yes your going to here the one in a million that gets 10 miles to the gallon but you will here a million more that get 5 to 8 miles to the gallon. What I like about our little 21'er  is right off the top you sit tall in the saddle, you can see over the cars in front of you and it makes defensive driving easier. You can turn it on a dime.You can pull a three pointer if you have to with no problem. If you get caught at the boarder or in heavy traffic you have comfort, you can watch TV or make a sandwich or have a nap or read a book or most importantly take a crap. Thanks to the government and oil companies  the day of just hopping into anything that takes gas is just about gone. Weather you pull a trailer of drive a motorhome a vacation has to be planned and saved for.

wrolandhyattjr

That's the ongoing controversy.  I have both a Class A  and a travel trailer - a 1989 36 Monaco Crown Royale 36 diesel pusher and a 1985 Avion 30R that I pull with my old 91 Dodge 12 valve diesel.  It depends on the activity.  DP obviously has more amenities but costs more to own and run,  Truck and trailer costs less to own and run,but has less comfort and convenience.  I can get 14-15 mpg at 50-55 mph.  However - a power hitch jack makes ALL the difference.  Of course I've had both over the years, but the power hitch jack is the only way to go.  I'm going down to Algadones, MX this week for dental work.  It's about 700 miles.  I'll take the truck and trailer to save money.  In June I'll be going to Whidbey Island, Washington, about 850 miles, for a month or so, to park at a friend's place on the water.  I'll take the Monaco to have more conveniences and comforts for a long stay.  The little additional cost isn't too much when spread over a month.  When they are old and paid for you can manage the luxury of having BOTH Class A and travel trailer - no controversy!
Roland Hyatt
1991 Gulf Stream Conquest Class c
1988 Winnebago Elandan 37RQ

vincewarde

Quote from: JDxeper on September 13, 2011, 09:13 AMThe motor home always needs repairs... another motor unit to maintain.
The flip side of that reality is that you must maintain a vehicle capable of pulling the trailer of your choice.  In our case, this was the deciding factor.  We wanted more space than our daily vehicles could pull.  That meant we would have had to have bought a third vehicle to pull a travel trailer.  So we went with a motor home.  In most cases we will be camping close to home, so driving two vehicles is not a problem either,

acenjason

To keep things short. Yes. :) I believe my 75 D21 Brave is better than a TT. I have never had a TT but heck ya asked:)@

eXodus

My situation was a little different. When we diceded to get an rv, we have two horses and wanted to go on tour with them.

So the division was getting a horse trailer with living quarters, and a big pickup. Or getting a motorhome which is capable of towing a bbumperpull Horsetrailer.

For us it was in the end a price decision. A living quarter trailer with 10 feet human space costs about 15k used plus a ton pickup is arround 20k. Now I got a Bp trailer and a mh together for little over 10k. And got a heck more space to live and more space for the horses and equipment.