Need Source for Gauge Cluster or Dash Panel 1988 P30

Started by fgutie35, August 09, 2011, 11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fgutie35

Does anybody here has a gauge cluster for a 1988 Chevrolet P30 Chassis? Or does anyone know where I can find one? I have been looking all over the place and I can only find clusters for regular GMC or Chevrolet Vans which are different. I tried to look on salvages online, but the majority asks you to leave your info or register so they can send you info later. I which I could find a website where you can just find it, put it in your cart, and buy it. Or better yet, a member of this forum who might have one laying around.
Thanks in advance to all who reply to this post! ;)

brians1969

I assume you checked (and are checking) ebay?  Sometimes you can contact a junkyard vendor on ebay  that is selling similar items or other P30 items and ask about the cluster.

fgutie35

Thanks for replying. I took the risk and ordered one from a junkyard in MO. Lets see how that goes. Specially since is a very old item. My fear is that is going to be in the same or worse conditions than mine is. Well, just as long all the gauges work, can't do much about cosmetic conditions.

dgapilot

Looks like your working on your Elandan. If you have the panel apart, can you tell me what they used for the Battery Condition Volt Meter. Mine is pegged off to one side, and I want to replace it. I haven't pulled the panel apart yet, but was hoping it is just a standard gage I can get from Summit or one of the other supply houses. I've got an '87 Windcruiser that is still at the shop for a transmission so I haven't had a chance to rip into anything yet. Again, if you have yours apart, hat light bulbs are used to back light the main instruments? My extra gages light up, but the speedo and multi gage don't.

Thanks,
David

JDxeper

I was at Colaw's salvage earlier this week and saw several P30 dash panels on the self.  They may have what you need.

http://www.colawrvsalvage.com/

JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

dgapilot

I talked to the guy at Colaws the other day and he said they have several Windcruisers. Same as the Elandan, so they should have a gage cluster. I need the Battery condition volt meter along with a bunch of other stuff that I'm emailing them about.

LJ-TJ

Baseballride351

If it doesn't work the next best thing is to start building your own universal system. I'm going to need dash trim but I am just going to use brushed aluminum and haves the labels stamped.
Draxxe Them Sklaunts

Mlw

Quotecan you tell me what they used for the Battery Condition Volt Meter. Mine is pegged off to one side, and I want to replace it.

Wiring your volt meter is pretty easy. 1 side to the plus, 1 side to the minus of your battery. That's it. Just take a multimeter put one wire of the multimeter on the wire that's still on the volt meter  and find yourself a ground connection. If the multimeter tells you the voltage of the battery just pull a wire from the ground point to the pegged of side and there you go.

If the multimeter stays on zero chances are that the wire still connected to you voltmeter is the ground wire. then you just have to find a plus wire and measure. Here it gets a little more trickier because then it depends what the plus is for. Is it a constant plus or a switched plus. As you probably want your meter to shut off when you shut off the engine you need a switched plus. But as you want a reading as clean as possible you don't want to put it on a wire with something that consumes a lot of energy.

A small tip: if the multimeter puts a minus before the number it means the polarity is wrong, so plus feed is then on the black wire of your multimeter. very important when you don't want to smoke up your electrical device or want it to work.

You can use any voltmeter you want as long as it meets the specs of your battery. the only reason there are so many out there is aesthetics, so yes you can go to summit ore any other supply house to get one.

for your dashlights. Just take one light out and take it with you when you are going to buy your voltmeter. Chances are they have the lightbulbs and sockets for your dash too.