Ax damage / insurance claim

Started by Brave76, July 25, 2011, 12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brave76

So yesterday had a shock. The side and back of my RV was attacked. I park it at a friends house he was out of town all week and I found this when I came over yesterday. Looks like the punks picked up the ax from the wood pile and had some fun with the side of my Brave. The insurance company is going to stop by and look at it sometime Monday - Wednesday. There are about a dozen so ax hits in the side and rear. Chopped through the aluminum and the foam underneath. Hit the corner flattened the outside rear tire took a few swings at the front and spare. Broke a tail light. Busted the side mirror and all the side panel doors. Has anyone dealt with an insurance company on something like this? What would It take to properly fix it cost wise? Will it be a total? If so any ideas on how they come up with a price? 76 brave with genny a/c in good condition ?

Thanks

[smg id=3821]

tiinytina

Man that sooo sucks... have not had to deal with but we should be able to find replacement compartment doors for you in this group... depends on your deductible too... Tj can tell you he had a heck of a time with his insurance, which he had paid extra to cover all the work that they had done on thiers, and the claim when they lost thier old classic to fire...  file a police report immediately if you haven't.... at least that makes a paper trail if needed.

Tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

LJ-TJ

Hi Brave76 -- LJ here:  every state and every insurance company has its own "code" -- so our experience may not be the model for yours... but here are some thoughts:
-- everything will hinge on the value you had your rig insured at.  Plus -- was your rig insured for a "declared value" or "replacement value" -- gotta check your policy -- usually not, unless you've had it appraised.  If no declared value, you may not get much from them.
-- they may be reluctant to call it a total loss, as it is an expensive PITA for them to dispose of the rig:  wreckers hate them -- too much stuff they have to pull off before they can get any cash for the carcass.  So if you tell the insurer you want to keep the salvage, you may find him/her more inclined to be generous with the cash part of their offer.
-- the trashed side panels can't be fixed -- to be weather-tight, they have to be replaced, and not just a splice into the trashed places -- so that alone suggests that your rig is a total loss.  A gelcoat overlay (like the "Falon" by Kemlite Corp on our burned Winnie -- new "siding" installed right over the old) is an option for you but it ain't cheap.
-- you will likely be able to find replacement panel doors in the used market -- same with the tail-light and side mirror.  PM us with detail pix - we may have some that would work.  Don't forget to factor the cost of towing into the tire replacement.
-- source parts online or at someplace like Sands RV in Ohio for the prices you'll tell the insurance company -- your average adjuster won't find classic Winnie parts in their catalogs so will often be just guessing..
In short -- don't accept any damage estimate from your insurer until you independently verify that it matches your estimate of repair costs.

As I said, everything hinges on the value you had your rig insured for.  How does the insurance company find comparable values? -- right now, someone in the insurance company is going through classic Winnebago listings on eBay, Craigslist and so on..  Suggest you do the same so you have numbers when you talk with them.  In our experience (not with the Winnie but with a previous vehicle claim) the insurer calls the dealer and asks for the best price on an advertised vehicle -- so what you see in a "for sale" listing could be much higher than what the insurer was quoted for the same vehicle.  Know the listings so you can catch these.

And ditto on Tina's police report note...

I feel sick for you... we stumbled around like zombies for a long time when ours burned.  Ya gotta be sharp though. Make the insurance company work for YOU. That's what you paid all those premiums for.

LJ

Brave76

Thanks for all the tips. I thought the Rig had a stated amount policy they asked me the value when I signed up for the policy I told them $2650 because that is what I bought it for. But yesterday they told me it was replacement value less depreciation whatever that means. I will start searching for comparble listings when I get home tonight. I like the RV but not enough to spend more that it is worth to save it. So if they total it, it will probably back to vw camper camping.

LJ-TJ

Another thought -- Searchtempest is a good spot to start looking for price comparisons. Copy and paste every 1974-75-76 Winnebago you find. This search engine will take you to every town and state in the United States. You'll find the proverbial $100.00 Winnebago but you will also find the $9,000.00 dollar Winnebago. You can also go to google and type in 1976 Winnebago for sale and pull up some for sale. Your bago should still bring $2,500 to $3,000.00. Good luck and don't forget to let us know how you make out. T.J.

ibdilbert01

I know rules change and different states have different laws.   But about 15 years ago I totaled a  Jeep Cherokee and the insurance wanted to pay about 4 thousand less than its actual replacement value.   I even got quotes from other dealers with jeeps of the same year with close miles proving its value and they wouldn't budge.   Finally a coworker whos wife worked for an auto insurance told me that were was a state law that basically required if the person wasn't satisfied with the insurances settlement, that person could demand an equivalent replacement.   Long story short, I called the insurance and told them I wasn't satisfied with what they felt was a fair price and I wanted them to find me a replacement, and it better had the same or less mileage and be in the same condition and even the same color.  That hour they cut a check for what I was asking for.   But like I said, laws change, each state has their own loop holes and this was a while back.   Best to go over the policy really well and maybe do some googling for insurance laws in your state. 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Brave76

Thanks for your help all. The searchtempest thing was great found tons of comparables from crazy guys saying they were worth 6k. The insurance initial offer was 2500 got that up to 5250 with comps and having them pay for my tax and tabs that I am out. The tow truck is coming to haul it away tomorrow. Any thing you would think is cool or valuable to take out of it prior to them picking it up?

salplmb

so they totaled it? thats to bad. good u got them up on the price. just hate to see another one towed off to who knows where. u can still hang with the v-dub here. we like the company.
sal

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Brave76

Yea my friend wants it so we will be attempting to pull it tonight. Any tips on getting it out. Can 2 guys lift it ?

JDxeper

yes,  The fridge also and maybe roof air, both would sell for about $200 each.  Stove is also easy to pull.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)