I think my 440 engine is shot. How can I tell? What should I do?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 16, 2008, 09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 12/23/2005 12:27 PM

During the drive home my engine sounds like it fell apart.  I barely got it home to the driveway at slow speed with constant backfiring, and trying to die at the stop lights.

If the dealer tells me I have to replace the Dodge 440-3 engine in my 1978 Chieftain, what should I replace it with?  If I replace it with a remanufactured 440, will it also be 27 years old?

Engine technology must have improved in the last 27 years, so it seems like it should be replaced with a more modern engine.  What will fit?

Sent: 12/23/2005 5:28 PM

I wouldn’t ask a dealer whether I needed to replace an engine, I would hire a mechanic directly, or from a non-dealer facility to diagnose what was the problem, and possibly to fix it. An engine can run very badly with just a couple of bad plug wires, a carburetor with a loose jet, a bad ignition resistor or a stuck valve - but it wont hurt the internal machinery at all.
If the engine needed extensive work, I would rebuild the engine you have. If you switch to any different motor you will have a unique motorhome, which would not be covered by an existing shop manual. If the engine needed complete replacement, I would use another 440-3. Again; the reason would be that there are good service manuals to cover that engine in that chassis, and it is a proven design. I don’t think there are any newer designs that are as reliable and maintainable as the 440-3. There are still large numbers of them in common use. New technology has to do with emissions for the most part.
If you get a rebuilt 440-3, the block and head could be 27 years old; but the parts that wear and require replacment would be new. If you were to look inside the engine compartment of most New gasoline burning motorhomes, you would see engines that were not greatly different from 30 and 40 year old designs. With your original engine, it has the virtue of simplicity. What do you do if the computer of a late model engine dies on a christmas eve? With that original engine, you can carry in the glove box a spare ignition module and all electronic parts needed for the engine to run.

Sent: 12/24/2005 12:36 PM

hellow dennison go ahead and rebuild your old 440-3 block-lots of good companies offering rebuild kits for them,i like -performance automotive warehouse-,p.a.w.-
in c.a.-1-818-678-3000, thay carry EVERYTHING to rebuild your motor and offer complete kits at a good price, and NO JUNK PARTS , if you dont want to rebuild it conntact JASPER ENGINS.COM this companey offers complete ready to install engins at a good price and thay also warrenty them! ive delt with them before and was veary plesed, ---- dont be afrraid of yousing your old block a good seasond engin block is what we look for when building a dragster motor, lot of reasons why but i wont get into that-- i also rebuild engins been doing it 30 years if you want me to do it let me know-or i can help you do it if you want to do it your self-belive me its not as hard as you my think ill help you with the hard parts,      hope this helps
                             check out my winny dragster project should have pitchures on cwm shortly lots of fun!      g-b  bob

Sent: 12/24/2005 1:27 PM

If you would happen to need to replace your engine, check my ad in "parts". But then you may feel safer rebuilding yours, or getting a rebuild with warranty.... I must sell "as is"
                                                    DJ

Sent: 1/2/2006 12:26 PM

I Have a 78 Brave A class with a 440-3. It's been rebuilt once .Still running good especially with the 750 Elderbrock carb.I went dual exaust ,3 inch too, to help the inhearant hot exaust manifold problem with this engine.The 727 tranny to is bullet proof.Personally the only engine other than the one you have that would really improve your motorhome is going to a Cummins turbo deisel but the downfall is the cost.If your really attatched to the rig & you can afford it go the cummins. I f not have it rebuilt & upgrade some component.Exaust dual 3 inch ,750 elderbroch,new exaust manifolds.make sure you either have new heads or rebuild the ones you have & get them shaved.Bebuild the tranny too while your at it ,Add shift kit & heavy duty torque converter.Just my 2 cents . Good luck.Dale

Sent: 1/11/2006 1:56 AM

It sounds like the engine might have "jumped time", meaning that the timing chain has failed. This is a fairly easy part to replace yourself, with a little mechanical exp.. You can check this by manually turning the crankshaft by hand until the timing marks on the balancer are at zero degrees. In that position, remove the dist. cap & check to see if it is pointing either straight at the no.1 plug wire connector in the cap, or directly opposite. If it is not exactly lined up either straight in line, or directly opposite, the engine is out of time, (which will cause both backfiring, and stalling.) The good news is that jumping time will in no way permenantly damage your engine. Install a new timing chain set (and a new water pump while you have the old one off) and your ready to hit the road again!! I can send you the procedures to do this if needed. Good Luck   Lefty