We got a new trailer!!

Started by Lefty, March 04, 2011, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lefty

Well, it's "official"... we are now once again owners of something to go camping in... Been almost 5yrs since we've been able to go camping!!!

We went today and paid the down payment on a 2006 Gulfstream Cavalier 32' travel trailer... otherwise known as a "FEMA" trailer.
Why a FEMA trailer? well, for us it was ideal for several reasons.
1:Condition-The unit we purchased was one that had never been issued to anyone. It is essentialy a brand new camper. Not wanting another "Project", this fit our needs.
2: Size-This is a 8'X32' travel trailer, which is the biggest I can safely tow without replacing my current pick-up. GVWR is 6,200lbs. and my pick-up is factory rated to tow up to 7,000lbs.
3: Blank Canvas- A FEMA trailer is basically a stripped down "white box" of a camper, allowing us to personalize it to the fullest, the way WE want it, without having to pay for things that we wouldn't want.
4: Price- We purchased this camper for $3,900 plus tax. For a total of $4,237.66 out the door. Bear in mind that we are having some "options" added before we bring it home though... $600 for a 20' Carefree Awning (factory take-off, but like new.. Thanks E-Bay!!),holding tanks ($89 ea plus misc. plumbing and shut off valves... about $400 total) and having a front window with cover installed (junkyard find for $50... I removed it)
And I'll be adding custom stripes to it to break up all that white and make it look more like a regular travel trailer... We expect about $5,500 in total for everything... which isn't bad.
As for my pick-up, I'll have to install an electric brake controller, a HD trans cooler, and a new reciever hitch.... So that's another $400
We thankfully saved everything from our camping days, it's all safely stored in totes... 12 of them...lol We have everything needed for camping already, kitchen center,grills,coleman stove and oven,several lanterns,linens and table cloths,towels,wash cloths,pots,pans,dishes,sewer hose and support rack,fresh water hose, 50' 30A power cord,RV power adapters, trailer levelling blocks,12'X12' dining screen room,patio carpet, we even have a doormat.

Here's a link to pics of it... I'll post updates once we get the awning and stripes on her...
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=342
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Lefty

My sister & brother-in-law run a bodyshop, which is also where I work. We mix our own paint, and I already have all the tools needed to spray whatever color striping on that I want. Haven't decided yet how I'm gonna do it. I do all the pre-paint taping at the shop, so I'm particularly good at taping up something for paint.
Gonna depend on what color awning they have available, I have a guy at Dandy RV that says he can install a 20' CareFree awning on it for $600 installed... They are new takeoffs where the buyers have upgraded to the motorized awnings. But he didn't know offhand what colors he had in stock. We are supposed to see him Monday about it.

Arberg0

not wishing to put a damper on your new trailer but was there not a tv program last year about people who became ill after living in fema trailers something to do with fumes or something i cant quite remember the program but it made the news big time at the time http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=2819546n
http://www.alternet.org/katrina/48004/

i would make sure that any sign of illness with my kids or family after spending time in the trailer is checked out like i say i dont wish to put a damper on you buy but just want you to be aware of the history that goes with the fema trailers
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson

JDxeper

It was formaldehyde used in the manufacture of particle board.   You can have a test run for formaldehyde.  The local heath department should be able to help or the Dealer where you purchased it from.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Lefty

Formayldehyde was the big scare.. but what most don't think about is that it's exactly the same stuff found in every new trailer built... FEMA or not. It's in mobile homes, new carpet, panelling, plywood,etc..
The big difference is that with a regular trailer, it's built, then sent to a dealers lot, where it might sit for sale for weeks, or months. The FEMA's were shipped out and moved into as fast as they could get them off the line. It also is a matter of length of exposure...there's a difference between living in one 24/7 for months vs. occasional weekend use.
formayldehyde dissapates naturally after a few weeks... Since this is a 2006... I doubt there'd be any there.
But, you are correct. Safety First. I was already aware of the formayldehyde issue, and had done quite a bit of research on it before buying. There was an issue with them originally, but that was 5yrs ago.

JDxeper

Very glad you had the insight.
JD

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

RV Mech Tech

Lefty - glad to hear you found a good FEMA trailer and there are many more out there - all of them at this point in time have been "aired out" so to speak and there are some really good deals out there - some of the RV dealers in Canada (including the RVDA here) put up big warnings about FEMA trailers picking out the bad points such as the trailers not being up to the electrical, plumbing and propane  codes (for resale here in Canada) and the trailers being in a state of deterioration but I have seen several here and I have only seen one that I would not consider purchasing - so it's the same as purchasing a used RV - some good some bad -it all depends on what you find - there are a lot of internet links on these trailers for sale and considering the prices most of them are a good buy - it's a case of buyer beware and even though these trailers are not vintage they are some good deals out there !   :)ThmbUp

Lefty

I just thought I'd do an update on our FEMA trailer purchase.
I didn't realize till now I hadn't shared what happened.

We purchased it from a dealer that had 10-15 of them for sale on a lot, and was offering in-house financing. We picked the unit out we wanted (the one that's pictured in my album), and agreed to pay $4,200 total for it (after taxes,title,etc..). We paid $1,000 down, and then paid another $2,200 in 4 monthly payments. When we went to pay the remaining $1,000 final payment and pick it up, the lot was empty. They had closed up and disappeared with our trailer, and money.
We went to the County Sheriff and filed a police report, and found out that we were one of 12 different people that had been also making payments on the same travel trailer. They had received the trailers from a guy in Florida, on a consignment plan, and had never sent him any of his money for them. He had come to Alabama and repossessed all of them. He confirmed that one of the trailers he had repossessed was the unit we had already paid $3,200 on. The District Attorney refused to press criminal charges against them, saying that it was a civil matter. We filed a civil suit against the operators of the lot, but as of yet have not been able to locate them in order to serve them with supeonas.

So, thats why we ended up getting a Georgie Boy, and not the FEMA trailer.

tiinytina

That just so aweful! hopefully you can find the looser and take him to court...  Hopefully you can band together with the others who were ripped off and go after him....
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

LJ-TJ

Sounds to me like a little U.S. Tennessee Buford Pusser Justus is about due. :angel:

Wantawinnie

Sorry to hear this, hopefully, you can track them down and get some justice.

JDxeper

That is really low.  Looks to me like fraud. Did you do any of the transactions by phone or mail? If so it maybe a federal case rather than state. Happy hunting!
JD