Can the generator be run while driving?

Started by yakflyer, January 30, 2011, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakflyer

I have been reading this site and really learning a lot of good information.  I just recently purchased my Brave22RB via an Estate Sale with no manuals.  This is my first RV of any type/class.  I have always wanted one and really have been enjoying this guy over a few trips. I have ordered the manuals and should be here soon. I would like to know some information on the the following;

As best as I can tell the on-board Onan Generator gets it's fuel from the main tank?  Is it possible to run the generator when driving?

Madathlon

ok on your Gen, Yes you can run it while driving. Keep a close eye on your gas level because once it drops below 1/4 the gen will shut down. Most likely it is drawing fuel from the main tank. Also remember gens need to be check over with ever 10hr of run time. There is a Black and silver plate with the Gens onfo on it, Post that and I can get you the correct manuals for it in PDF format.

Welcome to CWVRV, Its a great set of people here that can help you out.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Oz

And... we may already have the manual for it here too.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

coastalgal

Why would one run a generator while driving?? this is not a defamatory question, rather a pure, honest question.
thanks. elaine

Madathlon

Many run it to run the rooftop A/C and other A/C only Items.
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

tiinytina

yup summer temps and 4 dogs panting in unison... no dash AC... you betcha that genny is running the AC!

and just FYI a genny will typically use about 0.6-0.8 gallons of gas per hour of use.. so keep that in mind if you are calculating mpg etc....

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

And remember to plug your landline cord into the genny plug.  Most of the older rigs had a manual disconnect...newer ones like our 89 often have an automatic switch that shuts off shore power when the genny is started.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Madathlon

And a MUST with older gen and newer electronics is Surge protectors. and not a El Cheapo, you must use a good high quality one. While the older Onans are the best made they can surge or even brown out. If you use ANY Computers you also need to have a Standby UPS. even for laptops.
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

ibdilbert01

Albeit surge protectors help some with spikes, what they fail at is under-voltage correction, the real killer in sensitive electronics.  Surge protectors work by diverting over voltages through the ground via MOV.  (Thats why its so important not to cut the ground off of a surge protector)

Lower voltage will cause higher currents and result in more heat and as we all know, heat kills.  A genset running at lower than designed RPMs will provide less voltage and your devices will run hotter.   A major issue is simply how fast the genset can accommodate extreme demand changes. When you turn on your overhead AC, you might hear the genset bog down for a second or two, during this second or two the voltage has taken a dive, and its that moment when your most at risk of electronic component failure.  Another good idea is to make sure all your devices are turned off before starting your generator, the ramp up in voltage is also bad on electronics. The older generators started generating voltages as soon as they started spinning.  Also the sputtering they do when they run out of gas, thats also bad, you should try to avoid that, or your wallet will sputter.

If your really worried about your older generator cooking your electronic sensitive equipment, look for a Line Conditioner.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Froggy1936

Another problem is when you are running the generator  and have a load on it (ac is a large load)  and for any reason the generator driving engine looses power (runs out of fuel etc) The generator electronic  voltage regulator will try to maintain supply and can fry itself trying to maintain 110V as gen stops turning  i learned this the hard way ($300.00 ) for a new voltage regulator When i turned off the electric fuel pump for the gen with the roof A/C running Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

tiinytina

The other side of the coin is make sure that all major loads are off when you crank up the genny... if your AC is trying to pull the second the genny kicks on it will stall out... and until you realize your AC is on  D:oH! D:oH! D:oH!  ...

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

RV Mech Tech

To add to what everyone has said,  had a customer buy a new Forest River Georgetown class A two years ago with two roof A/C's and a Generac 5500 Watt gas generator- when he had his demonstration/orientation of his new rig he was told exactly what was stated on this post/topic about started and stopping the genset  without any loads - he came back three months later with a burned out generator screaming that the Generac was a piece of garbage etc.- when the service manager and I went into the coach first thing I checked was the A/C controls - (two wall mounted  analog/manual controls )  - he had been starting and stopping the generator with BOTH A/C units turned on full blast - he did not believe us about the correct procedure when starting or stopping a generator   until we showed him the generator manual that said the same thing   W% -  cost him mega $$$$$ to fix.   :(