What do I tell them my Dodge chassis is when I need parts?

Started by Brave Frank, July 05, 2013, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brave Frank

Hm? Ok, here it goes.....I have a 1976 Brave D19. When I have gone to the auto parts stores they have no reference for this vehicle at all. So, what would be the recommended description for acquiring parts I need for the engine & chassis that would work? Sometimes I wont always have the bad part in my hand. What do you guys do/say?

" I have a 76 Dodge RM300 with a 360 V8" and need this part....?

I know, I know, but sometimes there are better ideas out there then the ones in my head! LOL Thanks!
"DO or DO NOT.......There is no TRY"

Lefty

If it's bolted on the chassis, you can tell them it's either a '76 D-300 truck with a 360, or a B-300 van with a 360... 90% of the time you'll get the right part.
The other 10% you'll hit on motorhome chassis specific parts (some hoses, cooling system parts, some brake parts, etc... in those cases you'll need your old part to match, or a better counterman. One that reaches for the paper catalogs instead of the computer preferably. As these are rarely in the computers.. but usually are in the older paper catalogs.

Also, never be afraid to ask them if they can contact their Help Desk for assistance in finding your part... Every chain has one, and all they do is locate part numbers for countermen who are clueless.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

maxximuss

I'm going to throw this out there, if you can get a picture of the part and the info of the rig....chassis, engine, etc....of what you need you could post it here and I'm sure someone could help you find it. I look on here almost every day myself, and being in the parts business I know what you mean. I have to rely on what I know myself when it comes to ordering parts. Unfortunately you will find that. You own a classic Motor home. Most parts guys now were not even born in that era and what they see on a computer by a listing from a general programed catalog is not going to work. That does not mean they don't have it.  I myself had to Google allot of things on mine just to find what I needed, get a part number, and ask questions on here just to find out that the parts supplier I'm dealing with can get it. I say parts supplier that I deal with because I use to be in the aftermarket parts supply for 15 years and have moved to a dealer parts person. So for me I have to do their job as well to get what I need. Not something that is their fault, I blame the transition from paper books to computer format.

ClydesdaleKevin

Even better, go to the member store and order the Dodge chassis parts manual!  Then you'll be armed with the actual Dodge part number, which they can cross reference.  Its an invaluable resource if you own one of these older Dodge chassis motorhomes.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.