Vented or un-vented gas caps?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 15, 2008, 11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 3/9/2005 1:42 AM

hello all i have a 21ft 1976 brave i have the dual gas tanks on it. I wanted to get the gas caps wiht they key on it but I was wonndering if i need a special 1 I remember reading somewhere it was probly on here that u have to have a certain 1  thers a air tight 1. then thers a breathable 1 any help would work thanks

Sent: 3/9/2005 6:45 AM

If your Winnebago has a vapor recovery canister, then you need  --or at least are supposed to use--  the air-tight caps.  I dont know if the 1976 RVs had them.    For earlier Winnys, like before 1974 without vapor recovery canisters, you need breathable caps.  When I replaced my locking caps with non-locking ones, I got a pair of them from two early 50s Ford pickup trucks.    In Virginia they dont check whether you have the proper type of gas cap unless your vehicle is subject to the emissions testing.

Sent: 3/19/2005 3:43 AM

In 76 there were CAlif and FEDeral certifications. In Ca the 318, 360 and the 440 had EVAP canisters. Also, remember there will be a canister for each fuel tank. The FEDeral certified vehicles were not required to have them. Denison is corrct in his statement that non-vented gas caps are required for any vehicle with evap canisters.
If anyone would like info on 1966-77 "Chrysler Corp med and heavy duty Class 'A' motorhome Chassis w/gasoline (318-440 cubic inch) engines" and other emission systems info, you can e-mail me and I will send you what I have. I have info such as EGR testing, thermo-quad setup and adj specs, vacuum hose routing, required components for certain vehicles etc, etc.

Sent: 7/26/2006 9:24 AM

So if I have a 75 Brave then I should use a vented cap?  Does anyone have a Dodge OEM part Number for a replacement or even a NAPA equivelent that has worked for them?  I recently lost my cap and need a new one, but want to make sure I get one that stays on a helps prevent that ol' vapor lock.
Thanx
Glenn

Sent: 7/27/2006 6:07 AM

1975 Brave uses a non vented cap.

the Cap from a 1972-1980 D100/200/300 or B100/200/300 fits, and are commonly available.

There is  1 trick though.... make sure you dont get the "car" gas cap.... it's too small. Some shops try to sell the car one to you because it "looks the same".

Sent: 7/27/2006 8:06 PM

My rig is a '76 and it has a canistor system (Federal)
I have the non-vented caps....they say on them
Pressure   Vacuum ... I think those numbers Wayne Posted are the same caps for my M500

Timmy

Sent: 8/7/2006 7:42 PM

I have to ask, if a cap is NOT vented, but fits.

Could a person drill a ? hole ? from ? the top or something and it would work ?

Sent: 8/8/2006 12:31 PM

Sure. A small hole, like 1/8th inch would be enough.

Sent: 8/18/2006 4:11 PM

I'm not sure how you would do this, but some kind of rubber grommet (I think) would be needed to keep water (from rain etc.) out of the tank.....vented caps are vented through the sides......and drilling a hole through the cap would leave just that, a hole where water could seep into the tank.

Just a thought
Timmy