Chevy 454 belt failure!

Started by drmonteiro, August 23, 2009, 01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmonteiro

Last month I bought an '85 Chieftain 26 powered by a Chevy 454.  I had to replace the Alt/Fan belt 3 times on the trip from the dealer's lot in NJ to my home in MS! 

The first time I was only 6 miles from the dealer, so I had it towed back to their service lot.  The service mgr let me know that his mechanics were too busy to get to it right away ... maybe not for a few days, so I called a service recommended by the tow truck driver, D&M Diesel Repair, in Jackson, NJ.  A mechanic came out to me and installed a belt and charged my batteries for a charge of $305.41 ....  At least the tow was covered by my insurance.

I got as far as Northeast Maryland when the engine began overheating, so I pulled off the interstate and into a Flying J Fuel Stop where I waited for the insurance company to find a mechanic that would come out and install a belt onsite.  Mobile Mechanic, LLC Fleet Services of Bear, DE came out to me and put a belt on for a total cost of just $160.00 and I was good to go again.

This time I made it all the way south to Jacksonville, FL before the engine started overheating and I had to pull off the interstate and into a Shell gas station where I spent that Sunday night and called the insurance company Monday morning for roadside assistance once again.  A mechanic, Jose, of MD Repair & Services, Inc. came out to install a new belt onsite for a total cost of $401.31!  Highway Robbery!!!  What else could I do, but pay and go my merry way.  I was relieved when I finally pulled into my driveway in MS.

The lesson I've learned is not to go on a trip again without spare fan belts and the tools I need to install them myself.  I was not aware that the 454's had this problem.  There is only one belt installed on my motorhome.  Can anyone tell me how many and what size belts there should be?
drmonteiro

Too Soon Old ... Too Late Smart

DaveVA78Chieftain

From what I have seen on the net over the years is belt failure is a common problem w/454's.  Best information I have seen is:
It is usually due to a bearing straining or complete bearing seizure. This causes pulley wobble, seizure and/or misalignment, either throwing or breaking your belts. Some bearings don't restrain or seize until they are warmed up or hot, so they are hard to identify. Most of the time it's the water pump pulley bearing. If your water pump has over 40K miles, replace it w/OEM.  This could be a air pump, water pump, or ac compressor problem.  Fan clutch can go out and take the water pump with it.
I have included a front pic of a 89 454 showing fan belt routing if someone needs it for reference.

Dave

[move][/move]

drmonteiro

I've searched the 'net and found the correct belt for the fan, alt, and air pump on my engine.  It is a Dayco Products part number 15495 ... Metric # 11A1255, Effective Length 49.50", Outside Circum.50.10", Top Width 0.44", Angle 36deg.  The belts installed by mechanics on my recent roadtrip were a Gates XL7480 and a Napa XL7480 which are both about an inch shorter in length and 0.04 inches narrower in width.  I'm no mechanic, so I don't know how much of a difference putting a smaller belt on does make, but it is my guess that the shorter, narrower belt coupled with improper tensioning (overtightening) is probably the reason the belts didn't last ....  I seem to recall being told in the past that overtightening a belt is what causes bearing failures, too.
drmonteiro

Too Soon Old ... Too Late Smart

tiinytina

I carry all replacement fluids and radiator hoses, oil filter etc on board... think I will take your advice and add belts too! I think my 1987 chevy 454 7.4L V8 BBL has 3 belts on it.... (no dash AC).  We've, knock on wood... never had any belt or over heating problems and have put 11K on ours since we've owned her. She has 74K on her now.... 

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

tiinytina

in MD RV doesn't get inspected for emissions as is over 25 yrs old and they don't have a facility big enough to test it... so guess I got lucky in that respect...  So they want to charge for work they were unsuccessful at.. interesting.. the BBB may want to know that..

All the AIR system does is to pump more air into the exhaust to dilute it.... so it does pass. 

tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

MotorPro

Mine did the same thing. 4bolts to take the back off the pump and 10 min working in bolt blast and it was good as new.

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

MotorPro

rust penetrant  It is not a roller bearing just a bushing.

jeno

i had the same problem with my 89 winnebago the air pump froze up and was just burning up the belts. hope this helps

joanfenn

Since we had our alt belt failure last fall because of the ac pump seizing up we would like to take the ac right out and replace the belt.  is that possible?  would just have to buy the shorter belt, right?  and of course how would we measure for one or is it the standard size for a 454 without air?   i??

Stripe

Joan, I actually looked into this not too long ago. Yes you should be able to get a belt for non ac. You can also Loop a rope where you want a belt to be measure it and find one of that size.  There are a couple posts somewhere on the site about it.. :)
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

joanfenn

Thanks guys, will be checking that out once it warms up this way.  It is minus 20 here this week so won't be doing it any time soon.  BUT once it warms up here, look out :)clap :)clap :)clap

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Oz

Good find, pvoth!  I knew that topic was out there, but you were right on it.  The pictures aren't showing because the owner must not have them on that site or has closed the account or something.  That's the one drawback to embedding topic relevant photos instead of attaching them.  If they're attached, they can never be lost.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

pvoth1111

I just titled the coach in Florida...no emissions test....bye bye smog pumps real soon.....
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

MotorPro

You shouldn't need a pulley to remove the air con. The power steering pump has 2 belts one goes around the air and one doesn't.  Replace the one that does with a matching belt to the other one.