Can I change from 8.75x16.5 to 16 or 17" Wheels?

Started by chicknnhead, October 07, 2010, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicknnhead

So i have a 76 Dodge with 16.5 wheels, currently running 8.75x16.5

I would like to move to either 16's or 17's wheels since 17's now seem to be pretty common, but i'm thinking 16's might be the better of the 2

Has anyone done this wheel change?  what year dually wheels fit?
would love to find some chrome take off wheels

what is a direct bolt on dually wheel?

MY RV

4winds

From what I've read here Dodge and Ford 1 ton dually wheels are the same.  Shouldn't be too hard to find in junk yard.  Ed

HorizonM300

Switching to a 16 inch is best. Used rims with 235-85-R16 load range E tires are easy to find in the  junkyards on dually pickups. You should see if this is too tall. If so, get 215 85 r16.  If you get aluminum rims, try to get the lug nuts at the same time, though they may not match your wheel studs. Chevy trucks tend to be 9/16 but M300 uses 5/8 inch.  I don't know about your rig.

Watch out for the hub diameter. The Dodge uses a larger one than most of the Ford of Chevy. I bought a nice Accuride 16 inch rim, had my tire mounted, then it would not fit on the Dana 60 or 70 rear axles. It might have fit on the front, though.

JDxeper

You also have to watch the brake calipers, on the front, on certain setups the 16" rims won't clear the brakes.  Do a search on the forum, there is lots of information on this subject.  Remember the rims are coned (coined) , for the lugs, inners and outers.  The problem with junk yard rims is that most of them are not straight, that is they are bent.  Have them spun on a tire balancing to check them out. I found about 15 rims at  the yards, but only two were good enough to use.  Found a source for new rims then.  New is about the same price if you have the old sand blasted and primed for painting.   I put 235/85R/16E on my 78 which replaced the 8R-17.5. (Wal Mart tires Tracker II) $120 each
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

HorizonM300

A 16 inch rim will clear any rim that a 16 1/2 inch will. They are, despite what you would think, about the same size.
1/2 inch sizes like 18 1/2 and 17 1/2 and probably trailer 14 1/2
use the 1/2 inch size to designate the angles tire mounting contact area and the lack of a safety bump. You can tell when a tire is a 16 1/2 in the junkyard: the tire will be falling off the rim!
Another good thing about 16's is you can get a forged or cast aluminum. Forged are seldom bent. Alco is my favorite. But of course you need a flat face steel rim for the inner, since the Alcoa is not coined (coned) at all.

chicknnhead

Thanks guys, looks like i got a little more reading to do

Oz

Let us know what you come up with and what you end up doing.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

55chevyRV4x4

as long as its 8 lug almost any dually rim will work..  as most were the same pattern..  as for lug nut size those are mostly the same too..  the difference is the hole for the safety nub may need to be redrilled,  or the hub hole may need to be made bigger.

jkilbert

ford and dodge use the same hub size while those on a gm are smaller. i did find out from our ambulance mechanic that the new style for wheels, those with the small holes will not work on and older vehicle.  joe said he tried to put one on one of the busses that used the wheels with the 4 holes and it hit on the caliper. he said he found that the angle of the offset is different since most of the newer ford duallys use rear disc brakes.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Sho_tyme

AHHH just found out about all this tonight and put my sources trying to find me some. Did find out from a guy on the fords I need A 97 and older to get them to work. Hope that helps a little.

chicknnhead

I'm back at this again. It seems the more i try to find and answer the more confused i get....lol

as anyone actually completed this task. alot of folks i have talked to in the last few months...have wanted to but not done it.
the one rv i did find had alco wheels on it....but came that way when they bought the rv 2nd hand....

everyone is saying ford and dodge are the same but not sure up to what years...anyone know? do i worry that mine are coined and the new ones are not when replacing all 6?

johnnytugs1

Hi chiknnhead, i have a chevy class "c" and i changed from 8.75R16.5 to 16" of course had to change both the rims and tires on all 6. i got them from a rental box truck in the salvage yard, plenty of meat and they were good enough to get her from the previous owners home to mine.
JT
1977 itasca class "C"
under construction

chicknnhead

JT, I'm assuming your Donor rims were from a chevy as well? 

JDxeper

This topic duplicates a long running thread   My bad the below is about 17.5's, the last one is 16.5's

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=3391.0

This one also contains info

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5154.0

johnnytugs1

yes that is correct, they were from a chevy or gmc. I haven't done any actual  driving on them yet. it was towed with them on though. it's still in the restoration stage to say the least.
JT
1977 itasca class "C"
under construction

chicknnhead

Just to add more info here, for the rig that i have, i need 16 inch wheels from a 93 and older dodge dually pickup
I have conflicting arguments are the start year wether it be 81 or 83.

i think i located some and going to look at them tomorrow, so i will post more info.

JDxeper

Fords will also work, the Chevy's have a smaller hub hole.  Make sure they are cone or coined.  Inners and outers. The wheels are lug centric. As I recall the bolt pattern is 8 lug with 6.5 inch.  The hub hole was 4.9 inches and had a 5.35 inch off set.

chicknnhead

Just more of a final update. i did get a set of 16 inch rims, that are the coined(con as some call it) dodge dually wheels. the wheels are date stamped april 1990. which does help confirm the 1981-1993.
I Installed new tires which where 225/75/16 which where the same height and width as the 8.75/16.5 i have on the rear axle. i went with a white letter tire they are XL (eXtra load) but not a load range D tire.

want to say thanks to everyone for their input, especially JD
before

after

Oz

Very nice indeed and very helpful as well.  Great job!   :)clap
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

winnie wagon 09191

I have a 74 winnie wagon  dodge b 300 chassis. Not dually.  When I first bought it I read ford 8 lug wheel's will work, but I bought a spare from pick n pull  and it didn't fit. I thought the hub would have been the problem, but the lugs were spaced completely different.  I  have been looking for Chevy Truck wheels because I see a guy driving a  1 ton dodge van with 2500 HD gmc wheels. But I was told that I have 16.5 wheels because of the front disc brakes not clearing the wheels.  I can't find  17 inch oem  gmc wheels and I looked at that van I mentioned  and they are 16. So will they fit or not?

87Itasca

Ypu have single rear wheels on your RV?

I would imagine Dodge van wheels up to '93 will work, and possibly Ford Econoline/F250 wheels up to '97. After these years, they switched to a metric bolt pattern that will not work.

rajoford

For the 1980 Dodge chassis I got my non dually 16" rims from a small 1990 Ford E350 school bus. I think both the Ford and Dodge one ton chassis use the same rear axle (Dana 60?). I thought to go dually but I think the rear axle has to be a little wider to allow for clearance. Also a change to dually requires a different front hub to mount the drop centre wheels. 

Rickf1985

Just as a reference is case you ever want to swap axles, the ford axle, while the same Dana 60 is offset to the passenger side a few inches to mate with the engine which is also offset on Fords to give the driver more room. You would not want to use that axle in a Dodge because of compound driveshaft angles. I just wanted to add that in here because a search for "axles" may lead to it. The hubs will be the same. Brakes I am not sure.

winnie wagon 09191

Quote from: 87Itasca on August 31, 2016, 09:53 PM
Ypu have single rear wheels on your RV?

I would imagine Dodge van wheels up to '93 will work, and possibly Ford Econoline/F250 wheels up to '97. After these years, they switched to a metric bolt pattern that will not work.

Yes sir single wheel. .the original advertisement for it showed optional 10 in. Wide slotted mags. I wish I had those. Any how.my situation has become critical as some tweeker trash has slashed my tires and I am very broke and parked on the street. I found some 16 in dodge truck wheels from the 90s that I can afford. I really was hoping someone can tell me if the 16's will clear the disc brakes. If anyone near oakland has some spares and can let them go cheap I will be your best friend forever. 

chicknnhead

Now trying to do that exact same thing with a ford all these years later.......funny how life changes but not really...lol