'72 Brave w/413 Cooling system rebuild

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 15, 2008, 10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 7/14/2007 9:33 PM

After looking at the engine in my rig today, I decided it would be good to replace all the obvious stuff - belts, hoses, etc. There are no cooling system leaks currently. The hoses are just old and I want to get this rig as reliable as practical without going too far and restoring.

Is there a vehicle I can go to Napa and use for an application for the engine stuff? They couldn't find a '72 413 application. Is there a parts book online or something so I can start getting the parts together?

I'm thinking I'll pull the radiator and send it to a radiator shop for evaluation/recoring if needed. Any pointers on getting the radiator out?

Then, I'm thinking replacing the water pump, all 3 belts, thermostat and all hoses.

Any advice or answers to above questions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

Sent: 7/15/2007 6:17 AM

Steve,

The hoses and belts are all still available, but watch out on the lower radiator hose.. there is a cross referenced hose in the catalog that ends up being too short. They had to order another, which turned out to be the right  hose (what happened is that the right replacement hose had trim to fit markings on it for other applications, and the wrong hose was trimmed already at the manufacturer; it was an inch short, which caused the hose to rub against a fan belt. Take the hoses with you to NAPA, and you'll get the right ones.
There is also a thread here, as well as an online catalog for the belts and hoses, including the 72.

NAPA Still lists the 1972 M300 dodge chassis, usually as "Dodge Truck Motorhome Chassis- M300/M400/M375" or as Dodge truck "P300/400 delivery van Chassis" parts. Some parts are common to all Dodge & Chrysler vehicles, like tune up stuff and engine accesories. The water pump is different though, read more on it in these message boards....

removing the radiator:
first, take out the right side and center grille that opens, then the lowaer grille. Remove the crossbrace where the horn is mounted, then remove the radiator (there are 2 or 4 mounting holes in the frame, take them out, and the radiator will come out.)
In removing it, you have to take the side braces off, the oil filler tube, the fan shroud and all the hoses of course. there are threads here about radiator removal, and installation, but either way, it's tricky to get out... it comes out tilted to the front, until you clear the first 8" of frame, then you can turn the whole radiator and take it out the front with the front face side down. Just be very careful - the side brackets holding the top tank are usually falling apart, after all, it is 34 years old!

Check the message search, or the message boards for more on the radiators, Hoses belts and a special recommendation about the thermostat... you have to have the "skirted" thermostat... read all about it in several posts! NAPA can get the right thermostat too, by the way...but you have to find it by part number, not cross reference.

Also, there is a Dodge Chassis manual available to all members, download it! This manual does cover your rig's chassis. (over on the side bar... under "members area")

Of course if you have any trouble, we're right here.

(I will probably find an appropriate message thread to stick this post in, so don't be surprised if this is moved and reposted under an older thread.)

Welcome to CW, to you and your Brave!

Tom

Sent: 8/17/2007 11:50 PM

Making some progress. I got the correct skirted thermostat (the Mr. Gasket one) and a water pump from Napa ($55). Next comes the disassembly - removing the radiator, etc. Wish me luck.

Any chance anyone has part numbers for the radiator hoses?

Thanks!!
Steve

Sent: 8/21/2007 11:14 AM

I got an upper hose that will work Gates P/N 21378. Cost me $16.15 and was in stock locally. Still looking for a lower hose.

Sent: 8/21/2007 4:38 PM

1972 Dodge D800 Dodge V-8 413
Application Product Type Part # Comments
  Belt Drive System

Front End Accessory Drive Components

Fan & Alt.
High Capacity V-Belt (Heavy-Duty) 9650HD PowerBand belt may work, use template to check; 2 Required   
High Capacity V-Belt (Standard) 9650 PowerBand belt may work, use template to check; 2 Required   
  P.S.
High Capacity V-Belt (Heavy-Duty) 9400HD   
High Capacity V-Belt (Standard) 9400   
  Air Brake Compr.
High Capacity V-Belt (Heavy-Duty) 9755HD   
High Capacity V-Belt (Standard) 9755   

Cooling System

Coolant Hose

Upper
Molded Coolant Hose 20611 Cut to fit   
Flexible Coolant Hose (Heavy-Duty) 26510   
  Lower
Molded Coolant Hose 20760 Cut to fit   
Flexible Coolant Hose (Heavy-Duty) 26529   
   Water Pumps & Components

Water Pump
Water Pump (Standard) 43029   
These are gates  part numbers for you . Hope this helps you!

Sent: 9/16/2007 5:10 PM

Goodyear hose part numbers for 413 v8

60664 - Upper hose

60049  - Lower hose (molded, and cut to fit) I ordered this the other day from summit racing for $8.49.

hope this helps

Sent: 9/20/2007 6:36 AM

To make sure they gave you the correct water pump, check to see that it has the grease fitting on it...and keep it greased periodically, greasing once after you put it in.  Also, be careful tightening back down the water pump bolts when you put the new one on...I stripped the threads on one when I put a new one in the Ark (413), and I didn't even torque it down all that hard.  I had to drill it out and tap it for an oversize bolt...the water pump housing is a pretty soft material...cast iron, I think, but a very soft cast iron.

Kev