Spark Plug Wires for BGE Spec F Generator Misfiring

Started by fgutie35, September 28, 2010, 10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fgutie35

Well, I went to my local small engine repair and parts center today to buy the spark plug wires for my genny which is still misfiring a little bit. The guy at the counter told me that they didn't carried those kind of parts, but that I could go to any auto parts store and buy universal wires and cut them to size and that should work. My question is: Is that true? or does the onan needs the OEM wires? Since I already cleaned the carb completely, replaced the points and condensor and cleaned and re-gapped the fairly new spark plugs, the wires are next in line to try to fix the misfiring. Thanks in advance for your replies!

RV Mech Tech

fgutie35 - that's what I do for replacing ignition wires- check to see if they are solid core (wire strands) type wires or suppression core  (soft fiberglass strands in the center of the wire )  the solid core wires are used only in certain applications as they not only cause electronic interference with nearby communication equipment but can actually cause problems with anyone wearing a pacemaker  (not a good idea) - since you mentioned before that you had the generator running with no problems I would get another spark plug and exchange it for each of the two that you have to see if one of them is defective - this happens a lot and as some members have found out with other parts, just because a part is new does not indicate that it is working o.k. and make sure the side electrode of the spark  plug is aligned with the center electrode - a little bit of misalignment will not cause a problems but if the side electrode is off to much it will definitely cause a misfire -  try that first and see what happens - second - recheck the points just in case something has slipped out of place affecting the adjustment and look at the point surface with a small  mirror and also the alignment between the  point arm (that moves) and the base point- seen a few that were misaligned causing the symptom you describe - always check the new parts first when something like this happens - also since you pulled the wires off of the spark plugs check both ends of the wire to make sure that the spark plug clip and the coil clip (some coils do not have the end that requires a clip on the plug wire and you just push the wire into the coil tower and put the boot over it - the wire may be burned or frayed at this end causing the problems) are making a good connection - you can use your ohmmeter for this and check the resistance of the wires - also check the primary side of the ignition system wires that you put in and the existing wires to make sure that a full 12 volts is getting to the coil primary side - if not then the secondary system ( high tension side) from you coil tower and spark plug wire and spark plug will not work properly since the coil cannot provide the correct 'charge' for the plugs - this is called " required voltage"  ( having a full 12 volts available for the system) and "available voltage"  ( what is actually provided to the ignition system - is it a full twelve volts or less that's reaching the coil? )  in other words the primary side of the system has to work correctly for the  secondary side to work - if you do have to replace a sp wire then go to an auto supply and they can cut the required length of wire and provide you with the correct clips and boots and you can make the wires yourself- or go to a high performance speed shop - they will have the wires-  let us know what you find    Hm?

fgutie35

WOW! That was more than I expected. And here I thought I was done after the plug wires. :-[
I would still replace the wires cause they are kind of stiff and brittle already, but for sure I will check all that you mentioned in case is something else.
As always, thanks a lot for coming to the rescue in such a fast way. I feel almost embarrased to be huggin up your time and brain. I just wish and hope for the time when I have a chance to repay you!
God Bless!

RV Mech Tech

fgutie35 - no problem - don't let that ignition miss go on too long as it can cause damage  by overheating  that cylinder(s)  especially when the generator is under load.