Winnebago Factory Produced Dual-fuel Engines?

Started by dada, September 11, 2010, 01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dada

I just read an old 1980 popular science article that was talking about winnebago dual-fuel systems (gas & propane) installed by the factory. Wondering what info you guys might have. Like what years and models that was an option, and if they are rare?

HandyDan

My 1984 Holiday Rambler has the dual fuel option.  Apparently, it isn't all that rare in the early 1980's.  Someone sent me a recall from Holiday Rambler that said to remove the propane portion because of fire hazards.  I have never run the engine on propane and plan to remove the propane lines to the motor.  It just scares me, although many people have said it is as safe as gasoline and used quite a bit in commercial applications.  I'll just stick to plain ole gasoline. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

RV Mech Tech

HandyDan -  propane system on commercial vehicles can be very economical and money saving on fleet vehicle where there are many vehicles  such as FedEx and UPS - there was a big push in the early 80's to convert to propane system but most of the conversion kits offered were just that - kits to convert the fuel system and a lot of them did not include some engine modifications required for single fuel systems such as propane - you had duel fuel and single fuel systems and I personally had to repair several fleet vehicles (cylinder heads -valve seats to be specific wearing out prematurely because propane does not have the lubrication quality of gasoline- even unleaded) - now you can order a vehicle from  the factory that is designed to run on a duel  or single fuel - converting an older or vintage vehicle engine to run on propane may not be cost effective unless you accumulate a lot of miles every year - having a generator that runs on propane may provide some savings in the long run but even that system has to have a separate regulator so as not to affect the working pressure of the appliance RV propane system - that's why the newer RV's will have two separate regulators - one for the generator and one for the appliances so the system pressures for both  system will not be affected if both are run at the same time- propane, natural gas or gasoline are completely safe as long as the storage, delivery and operating systems are in good condition and checked often to make sure of that - this goes for both a gaseous fuel and liquid fuel - this also includes the individual who services these system - if they are not certified and /or qualified to repair these systems then go somewhere that has people with the required qualifications.  :)

DaveVA78Chieftain

Some rigs had the option.  Most did not.  The system Winnebago used was manufactured by IMPCO (http://www.impco.ws/) who are still in business.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

Search IMPCO here.  There are recent posts about the system.  Any additional explanations on how it works, recalls, service bulletins etc. would make a great tech Article!

In addition, the new eManual, RX for RV Performance and Mileage has a section on alternative fuel engines which is a good read.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bluebird

My 80 Itasca had that option. I never used it, so I removed it as it took up a lot of room and made servicing difficult.  The coach had a very large propane tank on it, which I liked. There is more to a system than just a separate regulator. Mine had several solenoid valves and a vaporizer, with heater hoses ect. One reason they may have did this was because in prior years many stations had a limit on how much gas you could buy at one time. I remember back in the 70s a lot of stations were closed at a certain time, even along the interstates.