Engine Rejuvination ???

Started by Ramblen Ron, September 22, 2010, 02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblen Ron

Hm? Has anyone had experience rejuvenating an engine after it has set some time? What can one do to loosen up the rings and valves?  My Winnie ,1970 318 Dodge,  has only 51,000 on it and I think that it spent some time without being run.  I've heard of using different additives  but what I don't know.  I did a tune-up job on the ignition and she just seems to run a bit rough.
Hit the road with your teepee on wheels and enjoy what the creator has given us.

4winds

My carb was full of trash.  Now it runs like a dream.  So,I would rebuild the card and check the timing

RV Mech Tech

Ron - there is an excellent post on bringing an RV out of long term storage by a member on this website and  Mark can give you the link for this - at 51,000 miles  you don't need any additives with the exception of treating the fuel system since old gas can cause a lot of problems with both the vehicle engine and generator if you have one-  change the powertrain oils (engine, transmission and rear axle may be required depending on how long  your RV  has been sitting ) and recheck your tuneup adjustments with the information provided in the resource library and manuals in the member area- the older powertrains  were good, stronger, non-computer  controlled  mechanical systems and can withstand a lot more abuse compared to today's powertrains and you will hear of stories about vehicles that have been started after sitting for many years without any problems other than maybe oil seal leaks and tuneup - as 1oleman says your carb will probably have to be cleaned out since stale gas can plug it up and may contribute to rough running - we had a 68 Dodge Monaco with a 318 and it had to be one of the toughest engines around - make sure everything is the way it's supposed to be with the fuel and ignition and lubrication systems and check for any oil leaks and if you do get a small leak then you can try an additive to see if it will solve the leak- I would suggest changing the engine coolant as well - you have already had it running so just working out the bugs may be all that you need to do - let us know how things turn out. 

Oz

Look under the Member Articles, Tech Talk.  "Dormant Vehicle Recovery Guide" 

Very comprehensive, excellent member contribution.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca