Tires sitting for long periods.

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 4/26/2006 8:52 PM

Hi Guys. I was in a conversation with a friend of mine last week about motor homes. He told me that if you park your motor home for an extended time, the tires chould be raised off the ground. He said he didn't one year and two of his blew out just sitting. I have never heard of this but just wanted the opinion of all the expers on this board. I really think he just had a couple of bad tires. Any thoughts?
Thx.again!!

Sent: 4/26/2006 9:38 PM

Never had that problem myself, but my tires aren't old.  My first rig had old tires and that didn't happen.  My '69 sat on the same tires for 5 years and they didn't blow, even when it was towed.  Denison has had his (bias) for like 13 years and doesn't raise them off the ground.  But, he does use his rig A LOT.

Wouldn't hurt to raise the chassis a bit, put it on jack stands, and just take some of the weight off them, no need to take them into the air.

Also, most damage is from UV sun rays, causing the rubber to dry and crack.  Now that could cause a stationary blow-out once the sidewalls have gotten weak enough.  So, a set of tire covers is a small investment with big benefits.

- Sob

Sent: 4/27/2006 12:37 AM

Having a tire go flat while sitting, I've experienced. Having a tire blow out, never. But, given the pressure inside the tires, I can see how it would be possible if a tire was rotten from age.
As mentioned, the major factor in these tires is not wear. But is a breakdown of the rubber from U.V. damage. A tire cover over each tire can extend the tire life. Rubber tire treatments that contain a U.V. blocker are also on the market as well.
Storing a R.V. on jack stands that are placed under the frame, allowing the suspension to hang free, can reduce fatigue in the springs. It also will prevent the tires from developing flat-spots.

Antique car collectors use this method of tire storage for long term storage. (years)
1: Place the vehicle on sturdy jack stands, ensuring the vehicle is level.
2: Remove the tires, and reduce the tire pressure to about 20lbs.
3: Thuroughly wash the tires and rims (front and back) with mild dish detergent and warm water, using a scrub brush.
4: Allow to dry completely
5: Wipe down with prep-sol,acetone,denatured alcohol,or laquer thinner on a clean, non-linting cloth. this removes all traces of wax,grease, oil, and oxidized rubber from the surface. It also cleans the "pores" of the rubber, helping the tire dressing soak in.
6: Apply a heavy application of carnouba wax (like Mothers) to the rim on both sides. Do not buff off. This prevents the paint from deteriorating
7: Treat the rubber surfaces with a U.V. Blocking tire dressing, Two heavy coats. Do not remove excess, it will soak in.
8: Wrap each tire/rim in brown craft paper, (painters masking paper works well too.)
and place each in a black plastic trash bag. seal tightly with tape.
9: Store flat, place a layer of cardboard between each tire when stacking.
Do not store directly on concrete. Best if placed on a wooden pallet to raise off the floor. This prevents condensation from developing, which will rust the rims, and can damage the rubber.
Store in a cool, dark, dry place that is not exposed to extreme changes in heat or humidity. A back corner of a garage, away from sunlight is fine. A damp basement is not.

A lot of trouble, but collectors have done it this way for years. And when unpacked, the tires are still in like-new condition, even after 20-30 years.

Sent: 4/27/2006 4:42 PM

Here in S. Texas tires have been known to suddenly lose their air, but I wouldnt call it a blowout. It happens to tires that have been sitting for -several years- with air pressure low enough that the tire is definitely distorted, the sidewall noticeably folded out. I dont think it happens to tires that are less than 10 or 15 years old, or that have been kept inflated.