Power steering pump output pressure

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 4/26/2006 10:22 PM

Hi Gang;

While moving the Titanic from it's winter berth to it's summer dock, I blew out the high pressue hose on the power steering. After using the message search it appears I may have to get one made. Our mechanic at the firehouse has a guy who makes up hydraulic lines, who I'm sure can make one for me. I know the first question from him is going to be "how much pressure is in the system". The Titanic is a 72 Chieftain 413 with Hydrovac brakes. Thanks

Dave

Sent: 4/27/2006 8:45 AM

The service manual spec. for the Saginaw p. s. pump lists a Maximum pressure of 1350-1450 psi. I think the pump internal pressure relief valve would be designed for that pressure or a little lower; maybe 1250 psi.
The normal max pressure you would have in the hoses (if you Dont hold the steering wheel where it is against the -stops- ) would be perhaps 600 psi. This would be while turning the wheels left or right on pavement with the RV motionless.
If the guy had made up hydraulic hoses for mopars previously I would have thought he would know the pressures.

Sent: 4/27/2006 1:14 PM

Try
http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598

Dave

Sent: 4/27/2006 1:18 PM

opps, enter

Category:  Passenger cars light trucks
Year: 1972
Make: Dodge
Type: Light trucks, SUV, van
Model: M series motor home
Engine: V-8 413

Sent: 4/27/2006 5:21 PM

My high pressure power steering hose split open while turning around in my driveway. Being only a day away from leaving on vacation, I got a 2 ft length of the proper sized high pressure hose - was it 3/8th?, and 6 stainless steel hose clamps. The counterman said the steel braided hose wasnt going to work well with just hose clamps.
But I installed the new hose on the old metal lines, after sawing the old ferrules away. I put 3 clamps on each end of the hose and tightened them down - with a 1/4 drive small socket. It worked. I re tightened them a day later, 2 days later, about a week later, and 6 months later. By this time I had the replacement -real- hose assembly, but haven't installed it yet. My temporary repair has been okay for more than 6 years now.

Sent: 4/27/2006 5:25 PM

That Gates link is neat. I think I will order the radiator hoses, hoping they are the molded kind, not the flex-accordion kind. Thanks.....

Sent: 4/27/2006 7:21 PM

Your welcome Dave.  I have posted it before but maybe providing the menu values was needed in order to get to the motor home data.  Any year, 383/413/440, van or motor home data is there.

Dave

Sent: 4/27/2006 10:45 PM

Dave & Dave;

Thanks for the input. After posting this last night I got a call from my parts expert (Wayne). He has the part in stock, so I will be getting the part from him as soon as I can get there.

Dave

Sent: 4/28/2006 11:07 AM

Dave,
I didn't read your reply real close the first time.
If they are molded it will say: Molded Coolant Hose
If it is the flex-accordion style it will say: Flexible Coolant Hose

Looks like they only list molded for the 440 engines, sorry.

Dave