Onan 4k Emerald 1 choke choke fully open when engine warm?

Started by fgutie35, September 09, 2010, 09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fgutie35

When I turned my genny the last time before changing the points, (hint,hint RV Tech) I noticed the choke was kind of dangling and if I would push it to be fully open, the RPM's would go up. My question is: Is the choke suppose to be fully open after engine warms up?? and if it doesn't, what could be at fault?

Thanks in advance for the replies! :)

RV Mech Tech

fgutie35 - yes it's supposed to be fully open when warmed up - on those earlier models  you have a heating element that stays on when the genset is running and that heat opens the choke bi-metal spring when warming up and keeps it open during operation -if its not fully opening the element may not be working and make sure you are getting a full 12 volts from the supply wire to the choke terminal when the generator is running  - again all this info is in the manual section of the members area- there is a page which tells you the complete adjustment procedure for this style of choke assembly  and all other adjustments for the carb including rebuilding it - what is your model and spec #'s? this can be found on a metal plate or decal located somewhere at the front of the genset  or close by - with this information available you can do your own work on the genset  and save yourself some money- also sometimes rust will form inside the choke housing and cleaning it out sometimes solves this problem and make sure that the area where the choke plate moves inside the venturi of the carburetor is clean -carbon and dirt  will make the choke plate stick.    :)ThmbUp

fgutie35

Well I have a 4.0 BGE-1R/26109F. I cannot find an Operators Manual for this Spec, and the ones that came with the MH, are for a Spec "E" which I just found out, by looking on the cummings parts store. Is there a significant difference btween the two?? Like for example choke, carb or ignition settings??

RV Mech Tech

fgutie35 - yes there may be differences in the specifications for adjustments- that's why you go by your spec # especially - keep in mind that  because of Federal emission standards an engine destined for operation in California for example may have different specifications for adjusting the carb than a generator going to the east coast- this created a nightmare for the manufactures and that's why you see labels on cars and trucks that say " This product meets
and is compliance with California emission standards"  - that was back then and now everything  produced is in compliance -that's why everything now is computer controlled - back during the mid to late 80's you usually find the older carb systems on generators so you can use the regular method of adjusting the carb - I will post again on your other topic of ignition .